Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Installing CDH 5.4.0 fails at Cluster Setup- Failed To Start service YARN (MR2 Included)

Installing CDH 5.4.0 fails at Cluster Setup- Failed To Start service YARN (MR2 Included)

New Contributor

Folks

I am trying to install CDH 5.4.0 on a 5 node cluster. At the Cluster Setup page where all the services are started, Installations fails to initiate 

Starting YARN (MR2 Included) Service
Failed to execute command Start on service YARN (MR2 Included)

This is output of the Error msg. Stderr doesn't reflect much on the casuse of the failure. 

Supervisor returned FATAL. Please check the role log file, stderr, or stdout.

Program: yarn/yarn.sh ["nodemanager"]

Error found before invoking supervisord: dictionary update sequence element #84 has length 1; 2 is required
Retrying connect to server:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Already tried 7 time(s); retry policy is RetryUpToMaximumCountWithFixedSleep(maxRetries=10, sleepTime=1000 MILLISECONDS)

Any Help is much appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Installing CDH 5.4.0 fails at Cluster Setup- Failed To Start service YARN (MR2 Included)

New Contributor

I just had this issue after upgrading to CDH 5.7.0. I found a reference that I thought "no way". But, it fixed my issue.

Restart the cloudera-scm-agent using service instead of /etc/init.d

"Works"

service cloudera-scm-agent stop

service cloudera-scm-agent start

"Does Not Work"

/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-agent restart

Frankly I have no idea why this is. Only that it fixed my issue. I will look into it later after I fix all the other broken pieces after this update. 

Rich Hickey

Sandia National Labs