Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Interpreting Number of Pending containers in Ambari Yarn UI

Interpreting Number of Pending containers in Ambari Yarn UI

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Here are some stats before the question:

From Ambari -> YARN -> Stats:

Number of available containers : 1000+

Number of YARN applications running : 22 ( out of which 18 are Hive-Tez based)

Number of allocated containers : 780

Number of containers pending for allocation : 12000+

My question is : When we have queue burst enabled up to 100% of cluster capacity, Why will Resource Manager not allocate containers to the pending/running job? What could be the reason that we see huge number of pending allocation ?

Is it that Tez calcuates the number of containers required for completion of the job and adds that to the pending container allocation and it gradually gets allocated when required ( like reduce stage's 3000 containers are blocked on map)?

Can any one enlighten please?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Interpreting Number of Pending containers in Ambari Yarn UI

Expert Contributor

Adding experts :) @Jonas Straub, @cdraper

Highlighted

Re: Interpreting Number of Pending containers in Ambari Yarn UI

New Contributor

I am far from a Yarn "expert" however my understanding of the above is that the jobs run in stages. The job itself has a good understanding of the number of containers that be will required to be launched and complete the entire job. Adding the stage 2 containers to the pending queue allows for pre-warming of containers so as a stage 1 task finishes its resulting data can be past to a pre-warmed container (shaving a small amount of time from execution) for a stage 2 task.

A job with several stages cannot start the stage 2 containers until the data set from stage 1 is complete thats why the containers are still pending.

I hope someone can allobrate or correct me on this answer if not entirley correct.