Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Is it possible to have SSL and non SSL on same cluster having impala

Is it possible to have SSL and non SSL on same cluster having impala

Explorer

Team,

One more in my case, Is it possible to have SSL enabled on Impala server for some clients and Non SSL for others.

Scenarios: One single Hadoop cluster shared by 10 different tenants, while 1 out of 10 tenants, need to use SSL while interacting with Impala, others do not want to use, so how to configure Impala to suppport both SSL and Non SSL communication?

I could not find in Impala documentation.

Thank you for visiting this post

Regards

Sreeman

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is it possible to have SSL and non SSL on same cluster having impala

Rising Star

It is possible, but only with a slightly awkward configuration. You can arrange for some of your Impala nodes to support SSL, and the rest to expect an insecure connection. Then you can use a load-balancer to send certain clients to the SSL-supporting nodes, and the rest to the non-SSL-supporting nodes.

However, I'd be interested to understand why some of your users don't want to use SSL, especially in a multi-tenant environment.

Thanks,
Henry

Explorer

Thank you Henry.

To answer your query, why other tenants do not want to use SSL,  it is important to mention, it is we (our project) who want to implement SSL in the production for the first time, no other tenants are using currently the SSL, so if we implement SSL for all impala nodes then all the tenants should adopt SSL and may require some development for their respective tools etc is not it? So I would like to check how can  I minimize the impact but fulfill my requirement as well.

Indeed thank you very much for the insights.

Regards

sreeman

Explorer

I am also thinking, first of all why we need SSL as long as the communication between BI tool and Impala server is with in the local network of the organization, Implementing SSL might be definitely valude addition but I am also worried if it does not be a overhead and cause performance issues as well.?

Any thoughts,inputs on this line,?

Thank you

Regards

Sreeman

Rising Star

SSL does not add a significant overhead. Depending on your security architecture, users may be able to observe passwords and other confidential information sent on channels that are not secured by SSL or some equivalent encryption technology. It's usually a good idea to secure all communication channels.

Henry

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here