Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Is it possible to manage Ubuntu cluster and RHEL cluster in a same Cloudera manager?

Highlighted

Is it possible to manage Ubuntu cluster and RHEL cluster in a same Cloudera manager?

Explorer

Hello members,

I'm new to Cloudera Administration. But I learned about Cloudera Administration somewhat with the help of Cloudera Documentation. I have created

Cloudera 3 node cluster(Ubuntu) already. Now I'm trying to create a 3 node cluster(RedHat) with the same Cloudera Manager. Whe I start the process of installation,

everything is fine. But during distributing the parcels from existing cluster, the process gets stopped. So anyone please help me, How to distribute the parcels from

existing cluster to new cluster. I'm using CDH version 5.4.0. Is this possible?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to manage Ubuntu cluster and RHEL cluster in a same Cloudera manager?

Super Collaborator

Yes,

Cloudera Manager will detect the variation and download and distribute the parcel for that target server's OS release.  

This functionality is included to provide for flexibilty and support migrations and upgrades of cluster servers. 

We do not reccomend remaining in a mixed release topology however for an extended period, and to

use the fucntionality as a transitional deployment model, only. 

Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to manage Ubuntu cluster and RHEL cluster in a same Cloudera manager?

Explorer
Can you please help me in solving this problem? Because I don't know how to distribute the parcels from existing cluster. So I tried to download the latest release CDH 5.4.4 for new cluster. This process also stucks when it starts to download the CDH. The new hosts are currently managed by Cloudera Manager but still it's not downloading and distributing it. Please help me in distributing the existing parcels for new cluster or downloading new release for new cluster.
Highlighted

Super Collaborator

This sounds more like you have issues accessing the repo's then, rather than something internal to CM.  

You MUST be on supported OS release for this to work as well... see the following URL

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cm_ig_cm_requirements.h...

You would add a new host to the cluster, and following that process it would deploy the agent to the host

( unless you pre-installed the CM agent on the new host and configured it manually then it would "just show up"

in the add new host UI on the second tab) 

What linux distribution / versions are in use in your cluster.  

Realize you can not import an existing cluster into a CM install, this is discussed within the community

boards a number of times at this point.   You can use the CM API to define your new cluster, as well. 

If your adding new hosts and extending your existing cluster with a different supported release, this will work.

If you are using CM to manage a cluster of one OS type, and then you make a second cluster of another OS type within

CM by adding the hosts and allowing it to deploy the CDH parcel across that cluster... that will work too.

What won't work is trying to add a CDH only cluster to CM for management.  CM must build the cluster to be able to manage it. 

Super Collaborator

Also, use the "host inspector" to make sure you have no obvious issues with the hosts that are part of the second cluster.  Run the hosts inspector from the hosts section of the CM UI, and the look at the report, note that the > can be clicked next to any of the items with alerts, to display the detail of the inspector for that item.

Highlighted

Explorer
Linux distribution used in Cluster:
Cloudera Manager---> Ubuntu 14.04
Cluster1:
Machine[1-3]---> Ubuntu 14.04

Cluster2:
Machine[1-3]----> RHEL 6.4
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here