Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Is the "STREAMTABLE" hint still needed in Hive 0.14?

Is the "STREAMTABLE" hint still needed in Hive 0.14?

New Contributor

Does the "STREAMTABLE" hint still needed in Hive 0.14 or is it being handled internally as part of hive join optimization? Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is the "STREAMTABLE" hint still needed in Hive 0.14?

Super Guru
@revin chalil

I don't see anything in the documentation streamtable hint is not longer required. I assume calcite will take care of this for you. I would verify this by reviewing the explain plan to verify the right table is streamed.

New Contributor

Thanks. Yes, I too didn't see anything in docs that says it is not needed any more. I will see the explain plan and verify as well.

New Contributor

No, "STREAMTABLE" hint is not longer required. Moreover, if you enable CBO and run analyze commands for table/columns, TEZ execution engine will optimize the plan and dynamically determine which table to stream.

Super Guru

@Amit Kumar Agarwal Thanks amit. could you point us to where this is documented? So my assumption was correct calcite will take care of this and streamtable would not be need. however I don't see any documentation on that. Maybe a notfiydocs HCC post on this would make sense.

New Contributor

Thanks Amit. Is this the case for MapReduce Execution Engine in Hive 0.14 or is it only applicable for TEZ on a higher version of Hive? I am asking this since the execution plan identifies the big tables only with the streamtable hint if it is not the last table.

Highlighted

New Contributor

@revin chalil This is applicable for TEZ execution engine