Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Is there any way for Ambari FileView or HDFS NFS Gateway to only show users certain folders (eg. only thier /user/<username> folders)?

Is there any way for Ambari FileView or HDFS NFS Gateway to only show users certain folders (eg. only thier /user/<username> folders)?

Expert Contributor

Is there any way for Ambari FileView or HDFS NFS Gateway to only show users certain folders (eg. only thier /user/<username> folders)? My use case is that I want to give easier access to HDFS to users (ie. not just using "hadoop fs ..." CLI), but do not want them to be able to freely explore the default HDFS root (especially since I am not sure if the default permissions for the default folders in hdfs root are secure enough).

For example is it possible to do something like mentioned in the docs (https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.1.4/data-storage/content/access_hdfs_from_the_nfs_...), but instead doing...

mount -t nfs -o vers=3,proto=tcp,nolock,sync,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576 $server:/path/to/specific/hdfs/location $mount_point

Or from the Ambari FileView side, is it possible to create a View that only shows a select path of paths in HDFS?

Any docs maybe on recommended security / permission configurations for the default HDFS root folders? (I have ranger and AD/LDAP set up, but just not sure how the default hdfs dirs should be secured).