Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Issue installing Apache Ranger using Cloudera Manger : db_password not found

Issue installing Apache Ranger using Cloudera Manger : db_password not found

New Contributor

Hi All, 

I am trying to install the ranger service using cloudera Manager. But I am running into the following issues. 

Setup: 

I am using CDP 7.0.3  

Database: 10.1.33-MariaDB 

Procedure: 

• I had already created a DB ranger and user rangeradmin with some password (Both ranger and Mariadb server are on the same host) 
  • I had installed first and then removed the service from the host. When I try to reinstall the service of ranger, I am unable to complete the setup. However, the Cloudera Manger shows the host to be green despite the setup failing. 

Failing step says unable to find db_password from the install.properties file which was already supplied by me in the previous step of the wizard. 

Also I used the ranger GUI to login: http://<FQDN:6080> 

Username: admin 

Password: tried both “admin” and < rangeradmin_initial> password which was prompted after the role assignment screen of the wizard. But was unable to login. 

ranger.png

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Issue installing Apache Ranger using Cloudera Manger : db_password not found

Guru
@karthikkadajji ,

Can you please share the content of install.properties file for review, after redacting sensitive info? You can also compare the file under previous xxxx-ranger-RANGER_ADMIN-SetupRangerCommand directory and see if indeed db_password was missing.

Also, have you tried to install on a different host and see if that can help?

Have you checked the Ranger server log and see if there are other errors reported over there? Is Ranger web UI working? When you say unable to login into UI, what error did you see?

Cheers
Highlighted

Re: Issue installing Apache Ranger using Cloudera Manger : db_password not found

New Contributor

Hi ,

1) Yes I have tried to install on different host.

2) xxxx-ranger-RANGER_ADMIN-SetupRangerCommand the db_password was truely missing 

3) There are no tables created in the ranger DB . However GUI is apprearing but it think it is just dummy since there are no tables in ranger DB.

4) there is no error thrown there.. except a exclamatory mark .

regards,

karthik

Highlighted

Guru

@karthikkadajji 

I just learnt that CDP DC 7.0 does not support MariaDB yet, only PostgreSQL 10

Are you able to either upgrade to 7.1 or change to Postgres 10 to see if that can help to resolve your issue?

Cheers

Eric

Highlighted

New Contributor

@EricL 

We moved forward with the issue with the following procedure:

• Even though we were giving db_password in the wizard it was not being taken in install.properties which is copied from /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-7.0.3XXX/lib/ranger-admin/install.properties as per control.sh script (populate_install_properties()) so we added the needed password in parcel location itself. 
  • Follow the installation wizard after making the changes above. This time there were no issue in db_password and tables were being created by ranger in db but were not being populated so got another error 
  • Error executing: CREATE FUNCTION `getXportalUIdByLoginId`(input_val VARCHAR(100)) RETURNS int(11) BEGIN DECLARE myid INT; SELECT x_portal_user.id into myid FROM x_portal_user WHERE x_portal_user.login_id = input_val; RETURN myid; END  java.sql.SQLException: This function has none of DETERMINISTIC, NO SQL, or READS SQL DATA in its declaration and binary logging is enabled (you *might* want to use the less safe log_bin_trust_function_creators variable) 
  • SQLException : SQL state: HY000 java.sql.SQLException: This function has none of DETERMINISTIC, NO SQL, or READS SQL DATA in its declaration and binary logging is enabled (you *might* want to use the less safe log_bin_trust_function_creators variable) ErrorCode: 1418 
  • Execute in mysql: SET GLOBAL log_bin_trust_function_creators = 1. 
  • After installation change SET GLOBAL log_bin_trust_function_creators = 0 

This was an workaround for us. 

Regards,

Karthik

Highlighted

Guru
Hi Karthik,

Thanks for sharing the workaround. But since we have not tested MySQL in CDP DC 7.0, I am not sure if this is expected or not. I still suggest that you move to PostgreSQL 10 in case you will face other issues down the track.

Cheers
Eric
Don't have an account?