Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Issue with CDH 5.4.5 - Single user mode

Highlighted

Issue with CDH 5.4.5 - Single user mode

Explorer

Hi All,

I'm setting up a new cluster using the Cloudera Manager, using the Parcel "CDH-5.4.5". I have followed the installation path A, in which I allow the manager to take care of all of the service configurations for me, and I'm attempting to set the cluster up using the new "Single User Mode".

In the installation procedure it has been mentioned
"Cloudera recommends that you create a prefix directory (for example, /cm) owned by cloudera-scm under which all other service directories will be placed. In single user mode, the Cloudera Manager Agent creates directories under the prefix directory with the correct ownership. If hosts have additional volumes on them that will be used for data directories Cloudera recommends creating a directory on each volume (for example, /data0/cm and /data1/cm) that is writable by cloudera-scm."

I went to http://hostname:7180 and logged in as admin/admin and went to administration and settings but couldn't find where I have to provide to /cm path.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Parshuram

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Issue with CDH 5.4.5 - Single user mode

Cloudera Employee

The directories on each volume referred to in the section you pointed out refer to the data directories accessible from each service.

You will configure your services when you create them using Cloudera Manager's Add Cluster wizard.

If you are on an existing cluster, you would add a new service through the actions drop down.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/install_singleuser_reqt...

Cloudera recommends that you create a prefix directory (for example, /cm) owned by cloudera-scm under which all other service directories will be placed. In single user mode, the Cloudera Manager Agent creates directories under the prefix directory with the correct ownership. If hosts have additional volumes on them that will be used for data directories Cloudera recommends creating a directory on each volume (for example, /data0/cm and /data1/cm) that is writable by cloudera-scm.

See this following section, in the same page:

Configuration Steps While Running the Installation Wizard
When configuring the first cluster in Cloudera Manager using the Installation wizard you’ll have the option to set up the cluster in single user mode. This configures the Agents to run as cloudera-scm.

During the review configuration step you confirm that all the configured paths are writable by cloudera-scm. The directories themselves don’t have to exist as long as the parent directory is writable by cloudera-scm.

Following the standard review configuration page, an additional paths configuration page shows all the configurable paths for the services that will be created in the cluster. These must also be modified to be locations writable by cloudera-scm. In most cases, the paths that need to be modified from their default locations fall under two categories:
Paths under /var - These are log, run, and data directories for the different services.
Per volume data directories - These are data directory configurations that list a directory per volume. Such configurations are used by HDFS, MapReduce, YARN and Impala.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here