Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Issue with Quickstart VM

Solved Go to solution

Issue with Quickstart VM

New Contributor

I am trying to configure Quickstart VM on Mac OS X.

The downloaded cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.4.0-1-virtualbox.7z file is reporting error when i try to unzip it using 'The Unarchiever' app.

The error definition is: The archieve is file is incomplete.

Is there any known issue here? i have tried downloading the VM file a few times, each time it was showing as corrupt. Not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Vijay Bhore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Issue with Quickstart VM

New Contributor

Never mind. I could download it on a windows machine and unarchive it on mac later. 

Thanks,

Vijay

10 REPLIES 10

New Contributor

Never mind. I could download it on a windows machine and unarchive it on mac later. 

Thanks,

Vijay

Master Collaborator

Thanks for the followup.  Glad you found a workaround.

New Contributor

When I downloaded "cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z" and opening it with The Unarchiver on OSX 10.9.5, I get an error:

"There was a problem while reading the contents of the file 'cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z': The archive is incomplete"

Is there any way to get a .gz version of the download?

New Contributor

Thinking that this may have been a osx issue, I tried to extract this archive in a linux VM:

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:~$ sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
p7zip-rar
The following NEW packages will be installed:
p7zip-full
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 93 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,561 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,995 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe p7zip-full amd64 9.20.1~dfsg.1-4 [1,561 kB]
Fetched 1,561 kB in 1s (934 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package p7zip-full.
(Reading database ... 81098 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking p7zip-full (from .../p7zip-full_9.20.1~dfsg.1-4_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up p7zip-full (9.20.1~dfsg.1-4) ...
vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:~$ which 7za
/usr/bin/7za

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:/granary$ 7za e cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

7-Zip (A) [64] 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

Processing archive: cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

Error: Can not open file as archive

New Contributor

The sha1 of the file I got was:

vagrant@dev-all-ubuntu-1204:/granary$ sha1sum cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z
c5e290f1eeb5ba588603f919e7144e6f8d41eba9 cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z

Which is different from the sha1 of 626595ef7e445ecfb80280b9353340e0e049807c (from http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/downloads/quickstart_vms/cdh-4-7-x.html)

So, I'll try to download the file again.

Master Collaborator

You beat me to it! I was just downloading the file to confirm the integrity of the file. I downloaded cloudera-quickstart-vm-4.7.0-0-vmware.7z, the SHA-1 checksum matched, and I was able to extract it. If you're not doing so already, I recommend using a download manager for large files (I use DownThemAll! for Firefox) - it will deal with network failures more gracefully than the one built-in to most browsers and you're less likely to have a corrupted or interrupted download.

New Contributor

Downloading the file again worked.

(Though, as a small feature request, it'd be handy to have tar.gz versions of the downloads as those utilities already come with the OSes I use:))

Master Collaborator
I hear you - I prefer .tar.gz myself but we found that with most formats
(.tar.gz included) the ability to extract large archives (>2GB) was very
inconsistent between different tools and it caused a lot of confusion among
users about what the problem actually was.

Re: Issue with Quickstart VM 5.12.x - Hive conn. refused (initially started, doesn't after CE start)

New Contributor

I downloaded the 5.12x Quickstart VM and I think I am having issues...

I have my VM running on Windows Host... and VM configured for 4 CPU and 10 GB of RAM with 100GB of Virtual Storage...

I started the VM and it appears all the services started fine ( I see 'OK' during the startup)...

I typed 'hive' on the terminal and I see 'hive' prompt showing up.

I clicked on the 'Launch Cloudera Express' link... The services are shutdown and started...

But, when I type 'Hive' again (after the services have started) 'Hive' would provide 'Connection Refused' exception to the 8820 port...

I open the Cloudera Manager page in browser and I see HDFS, Hive etc many services have grey circle on the left (says 'Stopped')... 

It appears something wrong with the startup script (or do I need to manually start all the services - defeats the purpose, I suppose,  if this is the case)

Please advise...

Thanks.