Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Issues with HDP 2.3.4 Install with Redhat Satellite Server

Highlighted

Issues with HDP 2.3.4 Install with Redhat Satellite Server

Hi,

I am setting up HDP 2.3.4, where the machines are not internet facing, with the HDP repos were made available on a Redhat Satellite server. During the setup, I am facing some issues and resolving one of the after. I just want to validate and confirm whether this is being done correctly or not.

As the repos are available on RHS server, I have made the following change in the /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP/2.0.6/configuration/cluster-env.xml file under the xml property <name>repo_suse_rhel_template</name>

<value>[{{repo_id}}-DISABLED]
name={{repo_id}}-DISABLED
{% if mirror_list %}mirrorlist={{mirror_list}}{% else %}baseurl={{base_url}}{% endif %}
path=/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0</value>

Also, I didnt download the ambari.repo, HDP.repo and HDP-UTILS.repo files to /etc/yum.repos.d files initially thinking that they are already available on RHS server and Ambari would pick them appropriately during installation.

However, during installation, Ambari threw an error

/etc/yum.repos.d/ambari.repo: No such file or directory 
scp /etc/yum.repos.d/ambari.repo

So, in order to get around with the issue, I created empty / dummy repo files under /etc/yum.repos.d with

touch ambari.repo 

touch HDP.repo touch 

HDP-UTILS.repo

After this, Ambari issue got resolved, but HDP services were not able to get installed. So, I have updated HDP.repo and HDP-UTILS.repo with the below content

HDP-UTILS.repo 

[HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20] 
name=HDP Utils Version - HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20 
baseurl=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20/repos/centos6 
gpgcheck=1 
gpgkey=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.3.4.0/RPM-GPG-KEY/RPM-GPG-KEY-Jenkins enabled=1 
priority=1 

HDP.repo

#VERSION_NUMBER=2.3.4.0-3485 
[HDP-2.3.4.0] name=HDP Version - HDP-2.3.4.0 
baseurl=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.3.4.0 
gpgcheck=1 
gpgkey=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.3.4.0/RPM-GPG-KEY/RPM-GPG-KEY-Jenkins enabled=1 
priority=1 

with these updated contents, I am able to install most of the services. However, Oozie-Client seems to be failing while installation. The error it logs is as below:

resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install extjs' returned 1. Error: Nothing to do

The HDP-UTILS repo on the RHS server have been named as "HDP Utils Version - HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20". So just wondering whether the naming convention could be the source of the issue to get Oozie-Client installed or some other issue? The documentation around naming wasnt clear and hence the ambiguity,.

Please let me know if it is done wrongly in any of the above steps.

Many Thanks

Vijay

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Issues with HDP 2.3.4 Install with Redhat Satellite Server

Contributor

Sounds like RHS repos are not available for some reason. I think that's the core issue.

You should troubleshoot by running the "yum" command directly from the command line.

The template change would disable the repo files distributed by Ambari, but if the RHS repos are not available, then it won't help.

If you are manually putting HDP.repo and HDP-UTILS.repo under /etc/yum.repos.d on the cluster hosts, then Ambari will probably overwrite them with the disabled ones...

BTW, the repo file that you posted seems to have an error in that "enabled=1" is in the "gpgkey" line (maybe it is just a copy-paste error).

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for your response.

I shall get the repos on RHS cross checked once again. However, I am wondering about the requirement to create those dummy .repo files under /etc/yum.repos.d. Is this is the best solution in the circumstances or am I using a workaround, when there is a better solution in place?

Also, can you please let me know the exact naming convention to be used for the repos on the RHS server? Should they be set to HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.20 and HDP-2.3.4.0? Or different values?

It was a copy-paste error for the gpgkey as rightly pointed by you. Its set correctly on my linux box.

Highlighted

@vbhoomireddy

Do you get this resolved? I am interested about the resolution

Highlighted

@Ancil McBarnett I had to do the manually install the extjs library, post which the installation was fine.

However, I still couldn't understand the dependency of having ambari.repo, HDP.repo and HDP-UTILS.repo files under /etc/yu.repos.d This requirement makes sense for internet connected install, but I believe shouldn't be a mandate for satellite based install.

Many Thanks

Vijay

Don't have an account?