Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Kafka Broker new consumer with multiple NICs doesnt work WITHOUT zookeeper

Explorer

Hi.

This is my setup:

• 3 kafka hosts with 2 networks
  • private internal network for data
  • public for connection with everything else
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+        
|                                                                                                  |        |                                10.25.12.0/24 - PUBLIC                                            |        
|                                                                                                  |        
|         ---------------------------------------------------------------                          |     
|                |                        |                        |                               |        
|                |                        |                        |                               |        
|          +------------+           +------------+          +------------+                         |        
|          |            |           |            |          |            |                         |        
|          |            |           |            |          |            |                         |        
|          |    KFK-1   |           |    KFK-2   |          |    KFK-3   |                         |        
|          +------------+           +------------+          +------------+                         |       
|                |                        |                       |                                |        
|                -                        |                       |                                |        
|                |                        |                       |                                |       
|          ---------------------------------------------------------------                         |        
|                             192.168.160.0/24 - PRIVATE                                           |        
|          server.properties                                                                       |       
|          advertised.listeners=PLAINTEXT://10.25.12.[1,2,3]:6667                                  |        
|          listeners=PLAINTEXT://0.0.0.0:6667                                                      |        
|          inter.broker.listener.name=PLAINTEXT://192.168.160.[1,2,3]                              |        
|          zookeeper.connect=kfk-1.domain.tld:2181,kfk-2.domain.tld:2181,kfk-3.domain.tld:2181     |        
|                                                                                                  |        
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+        

Every host, to use the data network is routed through the hosts file to the internal one:

#INTERNAL NETWORK 

192.168.160.1		kfk-1.domain.tld
192.168.160.2         	kfk-2.domain.tld
192.168.160.3		kfk-3.domain.tld

The problem:

If i try to connect from the outside to a round-robin hostname which contains all the 3 public private addresses of the kafka-brokes using zookeeper (kafka.domain.tld:2181) > works

If i try to connect to ANY of the brokers directly using bootstrat-server > doesnt even throw me and error.

I tried placing on the advertised.listeners:

1. plaintext://kfk-[1,2,3].domain.tld:6667 >> connect but can not find the leader
  2. plaintext://0.0.0.0:6667 >> dont connect
  3. plaintext://kafka.domain.tld:6667 >> dont connect

Running HDP 2.6.1.

I am ran out of ideas.....any clue?