Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Kafka broker shuts down after updating kafka.metrics.reporters

Highlighted

Kafka broker shuts down after updating kafka.metrics.reporters

New Contributor

I am running HDF Sandbox 3.0.2.0 on VirtualBox. Kafka metrics are not showing up in Ambari. I have found another topic in the community that mentioned updating the kafka.metrics.reporters (Kafka configs --> Advanced kafka-broker --> kafka.metrics.reporters property) per this article:

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/90918/kafka-metrics-report-no-data-available.html

However, after applying this, the Kafka broker appears (via Ambari) to immediately stop. Any assistance appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Kafka broker shuts down after updating kafka.metrics.reporters

New Contributor

@Brent Foster What is the value configured for kafka.metrics.reporters property? Do you see any errors in broker logs?

Re: Kafka broker shuts down after updating kafka.metrics.reporters

New Contributor

I have set the following:

(location is the Advanced kafka-broker section)

kafka.ganglia.metrics.reporter.enabled = false

and

kafka.metrics.reporters = org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.sink.kafka.KafkaTimelineMetricsReporter

I'm seeing the below in the server.log file for Kafka:

[2018-04-20 05:03:13,817] FATAL (kafka.Kafka$) java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.sink.kafka.KafkaTimelineMetricsReporter at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:335) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:348) at kafka.utils.CoreUtils$.createObject(CoreUtils.scala:195) at kafka.metrics.KafkaMetricsReporter$anonfun$startReporters$1.apply(KafkaMetricsReporter.scala:65) at kafka.metrics.KafkaMetricsReporter$anonfun$startReporters$1.apply(KafkaMetricsReporter.scala:64) at scala.collection.IndexedSeqOptimized$class.foreach(IndexedSeqOptimized.scala:33) at scala.collection.mutable.WrappedArray.foreach(WrappedArray.scala:34) at kafka.metrics.KafkaMetricsReporter$.startReporters(KafkaMetricsReporter.scala:64) at kafka.server.KafkaServerStartable$.fromProps(KafkaServerStartable.scala:27) at kafka.Kafka$.main(Kafka.scala:58) at kafka.Kafka.main(Kafka.scala)