Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

LEARNING THE ROPES OF THE HORTONWORKS SANDBOX mentions steps for WIndows 7.

Hello,

LEARNING THE ROPES OF THE HORTONWORKS SANDBOX mentions steps for WIndows 7..is it applicable to any Windows system? or just Windows 7 and ignore the steps if you have higher versions of Windows?

For instance:

PRE-REQUISITES

• Downloaded and Installed Hortonworks Sandbox
  • Allow yourself around one hour to complete this tutorial
  • If on mac or linux, added sandbox.hortonworks.com to your /private/etc/hosts file
  • If on windows 7, added sandbox.hortonworks.com to your /c/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts file

Regards

Preetha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Preetha Varma,

They are needed regardless of the OS your are using. All of the links that the sandbox displays in the gui are pointed to sandbox.hortonworks.com, and these steps allow that name to resolve to your local machine.

I verified that the file for windows 10 is the same as listed in the document.

Enjoy!

John

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

Any Windows 7.x should be fine. That file has been the same for many different generations of Windows.

Thanks. I agree the folders mentioned have been on Windows for generations.May be my question was wrong. I meant to ask are these steps required only if you are on Windows 7 and not on Windows 10. Not sure why they specified WIndows 7 and not just Windows OS.

Thank You

Thanks. I agree the folders mentioned have been on Windows for generations.May be my question was wrong. I meant to ask are these steps required only if you are on Windows 7 and not on Windows 10. Not sure why they specified WIndows 7 and not just Windows OS.

Thank You

Expert Contributor

@Preetha Varma,

They are needed regardless of the OS your are using. All of the links that the sandbox displays in the gui are pointed to sandbox.hortonworks.com, and these steps allow that name to resolve to your local machine.

I verified that the file for windows 10 is the same as listed in the document.

Enjoy!

John