Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

MariaDB instead MySQL as CDH config DB ?

MariaDB instead MySQL as CDH config DB ?

New Contributor

Does anybody use MariaDB successfully as a substitute for MySQL as the config DB for CDH ?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: MariaDB instead MySQL as CDH config DB ?

New Contributor

is it ok to "push" in this forum ? sry ... already done ;)

Master Collaborator

No problem at all, it's ok to *bump* a thread.  It seems like nobody knows of this use case, though.  I know I haven't seen any clusters using MariaDB.  What is the particular reason you'd like to do that?  Is there some feature of MariaDB that MySQL doesn't have?  

New Contributor

I'm interested in having MariaDB as a supported option as well, but for any DB use within Cloudera and not just, say, the CDH config db.

In our environment we have need for a small relational database in addition to the Cloudera cluster, and we want to only have one database instance (well, redundant pair)  rather than have ones dedicated to Cloudera and then another for our app.

One of my primary concerns is license-friendliness for our commercial purposes.  MySQL's open-source license for the DB itself is OK, but the problem is the MySQL JDBC connector.  It's not LGPL-licensed anymore; it's now just GPL.  So that means that it cannot be linked into commercial code.

So, I would like to see an option to support more friendly MariaDB connector anywhere that Cloudera currently supports the MySQL JDBC connector.

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/about-mariadb-connector-j/#license

Side-note: We did briefly consider Postgres since it has a far more friendly license for our use-case but we internally have more experience with MySQL variants, plus it is our understanding that the redundancy story in Postgres is not yet at the level to which we would like to see.