Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Metron Grok parser error on date field

Highlighted

Metron Grok parser error on date field

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm unable to get grok to parse the date in a apache log.

Here is the error I get:
Grok parser Error: For input string: "29/Jan/2018:06:02:41 -0600" on 66.123.45.67 - - [29/Jan/2018:06:02:41 -0600] "GET /f2c08g-bikec1089u.thm HTTP/1.1" 200 42887 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"

Here is my grok statement:
ACCESSLOG %{IPORHOST:ip_src_addr} %{USER:ident} %{USER:auth} \[%{HTTPDATE:timestamp}\] "(?:%{WORD:verb} %{NOTSPACE:request}(?: HTTP/%{NUMBER:httpversion})?|%{DATA:rawrequest})" %{NUMBER:response} (?:%{NUMBER:bytes}|-) %{QUOTEDSTRING:referrer} %{QUOTEDSTRING:agent}

And here is my parser config:
"parserConfig": { "grokPath": "/apps/metron/patterns/accesslog", "patternLabel": "ACCESSLOG", "timestampField": "timestamp", "dateFormat": "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss +-HHmm" }

The grok pattern has been verified in grok debugger and it's working fine. How can I get metron to parse that date format correctly?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Metron Grok parser error on date field

New Contributor

I figure out that the property timeFields needs to be set in the parserConfig. Once I do that, I get a new error:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.util.List
at org.apache.metron.parsers.GrokParser.configure(GrokParser.java:62)
at org.apache.metron.rest.service.impl.SensorParserConfigServiceImpl.parseMessage(SensorParserConfigServiceImpl.java:167)

My config is:

"parserConfig": { "grokPath": "/apps/metron/patterns/accesslog", "patternLabel": "ACCESSLOG", "timestampField": "timestamp", "timeFields": "[timestamp]", "dateFormat": "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" }.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Contributor

@Napoleon Treizieme you need to set your timeFields field like this: ["datetime"] not like "[datetime]"

New Contributor

Hi, did you ever manage to fix this? We're having the same issue.

Did you manage to fix it? We're having the same issue.

New Contributor

@Bob Van Haute

There is an error in the syntax.

The correct parser should have quoted timestamp not the brackets.

Here is the correct one.

"parserConfig": { "grokPath": "/apps/metron/patterns/accesslog", "patternLabel": "ACCESSLOG", "timestampField": "timestamp", "timeFields": ["timestamp"], "dateFormat": "dd/MMM/yyyy:HH:mm:ss Z" }.