Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Metron indexing stops when records processed reaches near to spout.maxUncommittedOffsets

Highlighted

Metron indexing stops when records processed reaches near to spout.maxUncommittedOffsets

Contributor

I have ambari managed 10 node hdp cluster ( 2.5.3.0 ). I am trying to index my netflow log ( 1 million records ) file using csv parser. Since my cluster nodes are lesser RAM 8 GB, I have controlled indexing traffic using spout.maxUncommittedOffsets - 100000 & topology_max_spout_pending - 100 to avoid resource contention in my storm workers.

My storm configurations :

Number of kafka partition :5

Number of workers : 5

Storm supervisors : 5

Number of executors : 5

When I try to indexing netflow log file using metron sensor ( CSV parser ) It hangs when it reaches around .5 million. If I reduce the maxUncommittedOffsets to 10000 hanging comes near to 50k. So it seems it is depending on the maxuncommittedoffsets. Each time this issue happens if I delete kafka topics and restart storm and metron things will start work again and hangs if it reaches the same level. When I monitor the enrichment & indexing input topics using kafka consumer messages stop coming to main sensor input topic. I have disabled both solr & elastic indexing using indexing configuration in metron UI. Could this be effecting offsetcommit ? What happens in storm topology if messages reaches spout.maxUncommittedOffsets ? Does this check the committed value from zookeeper ?

I had tried lot of times and when this issue comes I see the below log entry in my worker log continuously could this be the problem ?

topic-partition [netflow-1] has unexpected offset [1118]. Current committed Offset [400359]

Indexing config :

{
	"hdfs": {
		"batchSize": 50,
		"enabled": true,
		"index": "netflow"
	},
	"elasticsearch": {
		"batchSize": 1,
		"enabled": false,
	},
	"solr": {
		"batchSize": 1,
		"enabled": false,
	}
}

sput.config

{
	"poll.timeout.ms": 100000,
	"session.timeout.ms": 39000,
	"max.poll.records": 2000,
	"spout.pollTimeoutMs": 20000,
	"spout.maxUncommittedOffsets": 100000,
	"spout.offsetCommitPeriodMs": 30000
}
1 REPLY 1

Re: Metron indexing stops when records processed reaches near to spout.maxUncommittedOffsets

New Contributor

Hi there.

Were you able to address the issue described here?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here