Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Migration path for CDH 4.7 to CDP

New Contributor

1. Please recommend what is the migration path to upgrade from CDH 4.7.2 to latest version of CDP private cloud

2. Does migration of CDH 4.7.2 to latest version of CDP private cloud involves multi-stage process ? (example:  First step could be migration as CDH 4.7.2 to CDH 5 (or) CDH 6 and then as second step, migrate from CDH 5/CDH 6 to CDP

4 REPLIES 4

Community Manager

@CDH-pgrade, Welcome to our community! To help you get the best possible answer, I have tagged in our CDH experts @vaishaakb @rki_ @tjangid  who may be able to assist you further.

Please feel free to provide any additional information or details about your query, and we hope that you will find a satisfactory solution to your question.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Super Collaborator

Hi @CDH-pgrade,

you can follow the paths available in the below article:

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-upgrade/latest/upgrade/topics/cdpdc-cdp-upgrade-migratio...

let me know if this helps.

New Contributor

Hi @tj2007,

Thanks for the article, I have seen these links earlier- But most of them do not say if migration from CDH4.x is a single step process to CDP (or) multi stage steps similar to what is mentioned in this link.

https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-upgrade/latest/upgrade/topics/cdppvc-upgrade-paths.html

See tab "Upgrade paths for CDH and HDP" - Refer Table --last row

The last row says "Upgrades from Cloudera Manager/CDH 5.0 - 5.12 to CDP Private Cloud Base require that you first upgrade to Cloudera Manager/CDH 5.13 or higher"

I am curious to know how will the migration of CDH 4.7.2 to the latest version of CDP be--- will it be a multi step migration process ---example-- migrate from existing version of CDH to higher version of CDH and then migrate from that higher version of CDH to CDP ?

Please share the recommended approach

Master Collaborator

@CDH-pgrade Thank you for bringing this to our community.

Q. What is the current version of CM and CDH that the cluster is on?
Q. What is the primary objective of this request? Is there a business use-case we need to be aware of?

2. Does migration of CDH 4.7.2 to latest version of CDP private cloud involves multi-stage process ? (example:  First step could be migration as CDH 4.7.2 to CDH 5 (or) CDH 6 and then as second step, migrate from CDH 5/CDH 6 to CDP

Indeed, this will be considered as multi-stage upgrade process. CDH 4 > CDH 5 > CDP

I would highly encourage you to review the high-level in-place upgrade paths that is available from CDH5 to latest version of Cloudera Stack.[0a]
[0a] https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-upgrade/latest/upgrade/topics/cdppvc-upgrade-paths.html

Though this multi-stage upgrade will have lot of technicalities,
Do you happen to carryout a feasibility study of deploying a fresh CDP cluster, followed by migrating your existing data/workload to this fresh CDP deployment?

Let us know your thoughts.

- V