Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Mixed versions of Java

Mixed versions of Java

Expert Contributor

Is it possible to have CM host running on a different version of Java compared to the Java version all the hosts of a cluster? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mixed versions of Java

Champion
Yes. It is possible to run into issues due to having the different versions. It is critical that all cluster hosts run on the same version though.
Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Thanks for the response. Since CM host manages the clusters, I wanted to check if the hosts for one of the cluster (running the services) be running say Java 8 while CM host still be on Java 7?

Champion
I have never mixed up major versions; only minor. Have you reviewed the support matrices for your CM and CDH version? I would just make sure that your CM will work for your CDH versions, and your CDH support 1.8 while your CM supports 1.7.

It should be fine if that all lines up.

I have to ask though, why don't you want to upgrade Java on the CM host as well? It is usually more cumbersome to upgrade it across a cluster versus just updating it on CM.

Expert Contributor

I got 5 clusters managed by CM and everything is on the latest CDH 5.10. In order to evaluate the Java upgrade, I would like to test the upgrade on a test cluster and minimize the issues when upgrading the prod clusters.

Champion
It shouldn't cause issues and you need to test it so you can upgrade them. I'd do it.