Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Moving ambari-server, keeping all services

Hi folks,

After one week of hard work trying to figure out why my agents couldnt contact with my ambari-server, I finally decided to reinstall the server at another host and see if the communication works fine.

Now agents can communicate and send heartbeats properly to the server,( i have seen it on the install host stage of ambari-server installation) but I want to keep all the old configuration (services, masters, slaves..) will ambari-server detect the current confguration? will I have to set it up again service by service? I have done a backup in the old ambari-server, but I think that with that somehow I will load the issues regarding communication between hosts..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@david garcia

Moving ambari server involves 4 steps:

1). Stop the old ambari host and then install ambari server to new host.

2). Make the "/etc/ambari-agent/conf/ambari-agent.ini" file change on all the agent hosts to point to new ambari server hostname.

3). Run the ambari-server setup command and then point to the Database instance where your amabri DB is present in the "Advance Database configuration Section". (If using postgres then choose option4 Postgres DB , not the Embedded Postgres DB).

OR if you want to move the ambari DB as well to a new host then import the DB dump backup to your new DB host and then during the ambari-server setup command choose new host details.

4). Restart Ambari server and all the ambari agents.

Following link provides more details: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-reference/content/ch_amb_ref_movi...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Mentor

@david garcia

Moving ambari server involves 4 steps:

1). Stop the old ambari host and then install ambari server to new host.

2). Make the "/etc/ambari-agent/conf/ambari-agent.ini" file change on all the agent hosts to point to new ambari server hostname.

3). Run the ambari-server setup command and then point to the Database instance where your amabri DB is present in the "Advance Database configuration Section". (If using postgres then choose option4 Postgres DB , not the Embedded Postgres DB).

OR if you want to move the ambari DB as well to a new host then import the DB dump backup to your new DB host and then during the ambari-server setup command choose new host details.

4). Restart Ambari server and all the ambari agents.

Following link provides more details: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-reference/content/ch_amb_ref_movi...

Thank you for your help, it helped me. I finally moved the server and loaded the backup without no problem

Master Mentor

@david garcia

Good to know that you are able to move ambari to other host. Please make this thread as "Accepted" sot hat it will can be easily found by other HCC users to get the resolution.