Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NIFI Installation: keep getting "Apache NiFi is not running"

Contributor

Hello all,

I downloaded NIFI on a linux ec2 node. I set the JAVA_HOME and am trying to run as su. I am running the command ./nifi.sh run. I do not see any error messages on nifi-app.log or nifi-bootstrap.log but when I check status I keep getting "Apacha Nifi not running". Am I missing some basic check here? One more issue: nifi-user.log file stays at 0 KB (doesn't get updated).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

I am seeing that nifi is trying to start and is getting killed for some reason, don't see any logs that indicate an error.

Are you being patient enough? There is a lot of packages that get unpacked and setup when you run nifi for the first time. Also the entropy can sometimes block, so may try giving it some more time, around 15 minutes and see if it comes up. I am just hoping you are not terminating it too early.

If that is not the case, what kind of ec2 are you using, how much memory, disk space and cores?

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Contributor

@mpayne I gave 777 permission to all files and folders in nifi_home but still no luck.

Contributor

@Karthik Narayanan I uploaded the two log files (renamed them as txt for upload) and screenshot of directory structure. Do you see any issues with these? Thanks for all your help!

directorystructure-screenshot.jpgnifi-app.txtnifi-bootstrap.txt

Expert Contributor

@Ranjit S If you do a cat run/nifi.pid does it contain a valid PID? I.e., if you do "ps -ef | grep <pid>" does that show a process that is currently running?

Contributor

@mpayne

The PID I got was 25163. The result for "ps -ef | grep <pid>" is below. I am not sure how to interpret the below result. Does this look like a valid PID?

ec2-user 25257 23220 0 16:30 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto 25163

Expert Contributor

That looks like there is no process running with that PID. So NiFi did indeed stop. It's very strange that the logs show nothing of that nature, though...

Super Collaborator

I am seeing that nifi is trying to start and is getting killed for some reason, don't see any logs that indicate an error.

Are you being patient enough? There is a lot of packages that get unpacked and setup when you run nifi for the first time. Also the entropy can sometimes block, so may try giving it some more time, around 15 minutes and see if it comes up. I am just hoping you are not terminating it too early.

If that is not the case, what kind of ec2 are you using, how much memory, disk space and cores?

Contributor

@Karthik Narayanan

I am being patient enough but it just does not start. I think it might be that my ec2 instance is low on memory and disk. It is a free instance. 10GB disk, 1GB memory and 1 core. Is that insufficient for nifi?

I am not stopping nifi manually. It just dies automatically.

Super Collaborator

yeah, i would try a bigger instance. To quickly do this, go into cons/bootstrap.conf and may be reduce the Xms and Xmx to link 128m and see what happens. It could be possible that OS is not able to allocate 512m to nifi.

Contributor
@Karthik Narayanan

I think the issue was with memory as you pointed out. I am running nifi for last 20 mins and it has not exited. the status command also shows that it is running. I am not able to open the browser but that's probably because of low system resources. I will wait for some more time and see if there are any issues.

Super Collaborator

check the security group on AWS, make sure there is a incoming rule for port 8080.