Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Namenode federation in the real world

Namenode federation in the real world

New Contributor

Does anyone actually use Namenode federation in their corporate environment? What are some of your thoughts and challenges?

I'm looking at setting up some data load folder structures and I'm wondering if I should create a default namespace to start with so that there's a pattern when moving to name node federation.

I'm not sure what the growth will be and whether we'll exceed the file limits on HDFS. I'm also not sure if this is a good way to scale either as it might cause more headaches and complexities than it's work - looking for some experience and general thoughts here.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Namenode federation in the real world

Master Guru
I'm yet to see a genuine case of someone running into a single NameNode scale limit.

Federation users, from my experience, have been extremely rare. And managing a unified namespace view via the viewfs:// does appear painful to me personally.

However, the functionality works just fine once setup. You shouldn't find major trouble with it if you decide to use it.
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here