Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

NiFi not starting in Sandbox HDF 3.0

New Contributor

I downloaded Sandbox HDF 3.0 via Docker. The Sandbox is running and there is a green check next to NiFi, but I am unable to start NiFi. I tried both approaches on this page:

https://hortonworks.com/tutorial/analyze-transit-patterns-with-apache-nifi/section/2/#step-1-open-hd...

and I am getting connection refused on local host for NiFi. What else should I try? I've seen similar questions about changing the password, but I don't have context on which passwords. Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

@Lucy Tan Could you verify the NiFi URL that you're trying? Is it "sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com:9090/nifi"? Or using port 19090?

Hello, i have the same problem. I tried diffrent NiFi UI ULR but still it does not work. Additionally, i changed port in NiFi config (in ambari, with restart) ale still have the same problem. I connected to server using PuTTy and i could not found NiFi files. I found only one XML file in NiFi folder but it is all. I looks like i don't have installed NiFi but i have green check nex to NiFi in ambari (WEB). Any suggestions ? It my first time with hadoop so perhaps i miss something.

Connect to sandbox by putty or git bash and wrtie command "service shellinaboxd status". If it is stopped then "service shellinaboxd start".

Contributor

I have the same issue as @Lucy Tan. In fact, none of the UIs (nifi, storm, etc.) will open EXCEPT for Ambari.

1. Running from HDF_3.0_docker_12_6_2017.tar.gz on Docker 17.09.0-c3-win33 (13620) running on Windows 10 Professional.

2. I have added sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com to my Windows hosts file. It seems to be pingable from the command line, but inaccessible from IE or Chrome. I have been able to substitute localhost for the Ambari dashboard.

3. Using putty I can successfully ssh into the sandbox, but the sandbox-version command is not found.

New Contributor

I have the same issue with docker running on Mac

New Contributor

I have the same issue HDF image HDF_3.0_docker_12_6_2017. I can access Ambari and even Web Shell Client from the Quick Links but not NIFI. From Web Shell Client I can see that NIFI is running:

netstat -anp | grep 19090

comes back with

tcp 0 0 172.17.0.2:19090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1622/java

when I check the 1622 process ID:

[root@sandbox-hdf ~]# ps -ef | grep 162
nifi       1622   1606 13 19:46 ?        00:01:04 /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java -classpath /usr/hdf/current/nifi/conf:/usr/hdf/current/nifi/lib/javax.servlet-api-3.1.0.jar...

In the log files under var/log/nifi I see no errors.

What I noticed is that the script that I use to start sandbox image was missing port mapping for 19090:
 docker run --name sandbox-hdf --hostname "sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com" --privileged -d `
    -p 9999:9999 `
    -p 12181:2181 `
    -p 26000:16000 `
so -  added the port 19090 to this but it made no difference.
The only explanation I can think of is that docker file that was used to build this image did not specify that 19090 port should be exposed. 
To check that I run docker ps and found my container ID for hortonworks sandbox and then I inspected that with
docker inspect 8798372c4746 (which was my container ID)
it comes back with JSON response and in the section "ExposedPorts" - the 9090 was there but 19090 was not.
So - to test this theory - I modified nifi.properties file in /usr/hdf/current/nifi/conf directory and changed the web port from 19090 to 9090 and then restarted NIFI using scripts from /usr/hdf/current/nifi/bin directory (nifi.sh restart)
Now I can connect to http://sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com:9090/nifi/ and get the NIFI screen.
I can make the new docker image from the Hortonworks one with this port change - but it would be better if Hortonworks fixes this since all their quick links point to 19090 (not 9090). I presume that the same issue is for the other apps that don't start from this image (either ports are not exposed or the start script does include these)

Contributor

@Rad Andric @Edgar Orendain I can confirm Rad's findings. After changing the Nifi HTTP port (non-SSL) in the advanced nifi-ambari-config panel, I am now able to launch the Nifi UI on the HDF 3.0 sandbox from http://localhost:9090/nifi/

@Dave Welden @Tok Luo @Rad Andric

After verifying that Ambari is up and that a particular service is up (it's got the green light in Ambari), let's say NiFi for example, can you navigate to http://localhost:9090 ? Let's also go ahead and try http://localhost:19090 (notice the '1' in the port), in case you're working in a specific version of the HDF sandbox.

If the localhost domain works, but sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com does not, then it's an issue with the host aliasing. Any issues using localhost? Let's get to the bottom of this!

Edgar

Contributor
@Edgar Orendain

I discovered that the issue with hitting sandbox-hdf.hortonworks.com is related to a PAC proxy. Easy solution was to change my Windows 10 host file to map 127.0.0.1 to sandbox-hdf instead. Then when I launch any UI, I edit out the .hortonworks.com from the URL to proceed. Alternatively, I can edit the URL to localhost instead.