Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Nifi PutFile 1.9.2 Filename Max character support, 254 or 255?

Nifi PutFile 1.9.2 Filename Max character support, 254 or 255?

New Contributor

Hello all,

I'm using a Nifi PutFile 1.9.2 process to write .xml files to my local disk that it receives from a ListenHTTP 1.9.2 process.

All is well as long as the full filename, including the . and 3 letter extension are 254 characters or less. if the full filename is 255 characters, it does not write the file to disk, and the PutFile process shows: "In 1", and "Read/Write 0 bytes".

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks in advance,

-Jorden

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Nifi PutFile 1.9.2 Filename Max character support, 254 or 255?

Master Guru

@FlashJorden 
This is not a limitation of the NiFi processor, but rather a target OS limitation.

I am guessing the putFile processor is trying to write the file to a linux filesystem?
The linux EXT4 filesystem has a max filename length of 255 characters and a max path length 4096 characters.

NiFi does not have such limitation because filename is stored in a FlowFile attribute and the content of the FlowFile is stored in a claim within the content repository (claim filenames do not exceed filesystem limitations)

I recommend using an UpdateAttribute processor to change the filenames before your putFile processor.

Hope this helps,
Matt

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here