Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

No ambari-agent found for 2.0.0

Contributor

My OS: Centos 6.9 32 bit

JDK: 1.8

I have already made cluster of 5 instanced (on virtualbox) ready including passwordless ssh, iptables turned off, ntpd started etc.

Because Ambari's latest version was running into problems (another question raised on the community), I chose version 2.0.0 using which I was able to successfully install ambari-server and also done setup. Also installed correct (based on combination given in installation doc) repo files for hdp and ambari on all hosts.

When I started ambari-server, access through GUI and reached to registration page (i.e. confim hosts); it failed for all hosts. Failure message (part of it) is:

scp /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/setupAgent.py
host=hw-pc-namenode.pc.com, exitcode=0
Command end time 2017-09-14 13:53:59

==========================
Running setup agent script...
==========================

Command start time 2017-09-14 13:53:59
/bin/sh: /usr/sbin/ambari-agent: No such file or directory
Error: No matching Packages to list
('', None)

Connection to hw-pc-namenode.pc.com closed.
SSH command execution finished
host=hw-pc-namenode.pc.com, exitcode=1
Command end time 2017-09-14 13:54:04

ERROR: Bootstrap of host hw-pc-namenode.pc.com fails because previous action finished with non-zero exit code (1)
ERROR MESSAGE: tcgetattr: Invalid argument

STDOUT: /bin/sh: /usr/sbin/ambari-agent: No such file or directory
('', None)

Since the failure is about finding ambari-agent file, I tried manually install using "yum install ambari-agent*" (Also tried yum clean all prior to this). However it was giving message ambari-agent not found.

Hence used the tarball link found in doc for Ambari 2.0.0, download the tarball and glanced through it on local machine - it does not seem to have ambari-agent rpm. tried searching google, but no use. Similarly I check few of the other versions of tarballs and found only 1.x has ambari-agent rpm. I'm not much good at linux, so this left me confused.

ps: I'm not behind firewall which I did check during investigation on my last question.

Can you please help me with:

1. How should I overcome this error of ambari-agent (for 2.0.0) not found?

2. Normally, How is yum supposed to work n download ambari agent when it is not found in tarball as well (just for my knowledge)?

Many thanks in advance of your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Super Mentor

@Prashant Chaudhari

Are you sure that from ambari server host you are able to do Passwordless SSH to the agent machines?

Example:

# ssh root@hw-pc-namenode.pc.com

While doing SSH are you getting the following error?

ERROR MESSAGE: tcgetattr:Invalid argument

Also you will need to make sure that every host on your cluster should have proper entry inside the "/etc/hosts" file and the FQDN should be correctly reflected. you can verify the FQDN using the following command on every host of your cluster to see if it is returning correct name

# hostname -f

Contributor

Thanks for your quick response.

HW-PC-NameNode.pc.com is the one where I also installed ambari server. I did have issues initially with doing passwordless ssh from itself, but I remember I did resolve that yesterday but will do double check and if it fails again then will post. do not think it'd pop-up again though.

Already added fqdn alongwith IP addresses in /etc/hosts on each of the nodes and ensured that "hostname -f" returns correct fqdn i.e. in this case it will be HW-PC-NameNoode.pc.com.

Contributor

Re-checked my passwordless ssh from all hosts. There wasn't any issue from main host i.e. HW-PC-NameNode, However noticed some issues from data nodes, which I resolved now. I'm not getting "ERROR MESSAGE: tcgetattr:Invalid argument" message while doing ssh.

I tried running host registration through Ambari again post above; but facing the same issue again.

Please, need your help.

Super Mentor

@Prashant Chaudhari

Until we find the cause of failure, May be as an alternate solution we can install the Ambari Agent on the hosts manually (which is another way of host registration):

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.5.2.0/bk_ambari-administration/content/ch_amb_ref...

Contributor

Is it must to try for 2.5.2.0? The problem with 2.5.2.0 I faced is I couldn't even do "yum install ambari-server" (ref: thread:https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/136145/unable-to-install-ambari-server-and-agent.html).

Currently I have 2.0.0 and for that ambari-server is installed but when I did try manual installation of agent "yum install ambari-agent", it always returns "No package ambari-agent available." despite trying it afer cleaning cache/metadata etc.