Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

No progress for Hive query on Sandbox 2.5,

No progress for Hive query on Sandbox 2.5,

New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am trying to execute the Hive query

SELECT driverId, sum(hours_logged), sum(miles_logged) FROM timesheet GROUP BY driverId;

From the 'how-to-process-data-with-apache-hive'-Tutorial. Creating the tables and all other previous steps worked fine but all aggregation queries just like the one above show no progress, as illustrated by this screenshot of the hive-command line:

10197-hive-command-line-161209.png

The cluster I am using has 2 cores and 16 GM RAM.

I'd be grateful for any advice how to start trouble shooting the problem.

Cheers,

simon

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: No progress for Hive query on Sandbox 2.5,

Super Collaborator

@Simon Birkholz , can you please check the resource manager UI for pending applications. Navigate to {YourHostname}:8088 to see the list of applications. Make sure you have enough resources to run your applications. If the most recent application is still in the queue, kill other applications by simply clicking on it and you will see a Kill Application button on the next page. Let us know if this works for you.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Thanks for your response, Mushtaq. I have no access to the sandbox until monday, but I will follow your instructions and give feedback asap.

Cheers,

simon

Highlighted

New Contributor

I checked the list of applications as suggested and made sure there is no application running.

I am not certain how to check whether I have enough resources. In the Hive Configs page I left everything at recommended settings. When I run the query I mentioned above, the resource manager UI indicates that no CPU VCores and no Memory is allocated. How do I check that I configured Hive correctly?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here