Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not Valid Jar Error

Expert Contributor

Hi .

While running wordcount jar I am getting error"Not a valid jar"

[hdfs@sandbox /]$ hadoop fs -ls

Found 8 items

drwx------ - root hdfs 0 2016-08-12 00:21 .Trash

drwxr-xr-x - root hdfs 0 2016-08-01 21:31 .hiveJars

drwx------ - hdfs hdfs 0 2016-08-12 19:42 .staging

-rw-r--r-- 3 admin hdfs 1024 2016-08-14 19:24 count.txt

drwxr-xr-x - hdfs hdfs 0 2016-08-12 18:38 emp

-rw-r--r-- 3 admin hdfs 4096 2016-08-14 19:24 wordcount.jar

[hdfs@sandbox /]$ hadoop jar wordcount.jar WordCount count.txt wordcountoutput

WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications. Not a valid JAR: /wordcount.jar

I compiled my program with hadoop-common-2.3.0.jar

Hadoop and Java version as below

Hadoop 2.7.1.2.3.2.0-2950

java version "1.7.0_91"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru
@Tech Guy

your latest error is just because of incompatible java version. According to this link:

major version number of the class file format being used.

Java SE 9 = 53 (0x35 hex),[3] Java SE 8 = 52 (0x34 hex), Java SE 7 = 51 (0x33 hex), Java SE 6.0 = 50 (0x32 hex), Java SE 5.0 = 49 (0x31 hex), JDK 1.4 = 48 (0x30 hex), JDK 1.3 = 47 (0x2F hex), JDK 1.2 = 46 (0x2E hex), JDK 1.1 = 45 (0x2D hex).

update your Java to JDK 1.8. This should resolve it. Also look at the following link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22489398/unsupported-major-minor-version-52-0

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Super Guru
@Tech Guy

Your jar appears to be in hdfs. You cannot have jar inside hdfs. It needs to be in your local file system. Put it in local file system and run again. It should work.

Super Guru

It can be in hdfs or local fs. You just need to have them referenced properly and have the proper privileges.

Super Guru

Hi @Constantin Stanca, @Tech Guy

I am pretty sure, the jar file is supposed to be in local file system. Unless, you are aware of things getting changed in new versions. Please see the following link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20333135/how-to-execute-hadoop-jar-from-hdfs-filesystem

Super Guru

@mqureshi

Technically, you are correct. Since I did not know the reason for storing the jar file in hdfs, I wanted to provide a "either way" solution. For example, in large development teams, I used a trick for cases where needed to store the jar files in HDFS as such they can be easily accessed between multiple clients including Hive as UDFs. It was something like in the reference you provided, but you are correct, it will still pick it from the local file system, however, it will provide a centralized location which can be used as a target for build artifacts and shared across multiple developers in a team.

hadoop fs -copyToLocal hdfs:///home/usr/jar/myjar.jar /tmp/myjar.jar && hadoop jar /tmp/myjar.jar com.test.TestMain 

Expert Contributor

@Constantin Stanca, @mqureshi,

I tried to run in local file system as below

[hdfs@sandbox LogFiles]$ hadoop jar wordcount.jar WordCount count.txt /Out

Not valid error gone but got "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0" Error.

I compiled my program with hadoop-common-2.7.1.jar

java version "1.7.0_91"

Please suggest.

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi

I tried to run in local file system as below

[hdfs@sandbox LogFiles]$ hadoop jar wordcount.jar WordCount count.txt /Out

Not valid error gone but got "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0" Error.

I compiled my program with hadoop-common-2.7.1.jar

java version "1.7.0_91"

Please suggest.

@Tech Guy compile your jar with Java 1.7 and run the job.

Expert Contributor

Thanks. It worked

Super Guru

@Tech Guy

The message is misleading. You need to provide a path for your input and output files and make sure that your user has privileges on those folders. You should also try to place the jar locally as @mqureshi suggested, which is probably the easiest, otherwise you would need to specify a full hdfs path to the jar file.

For example, you could run the command as it follows:

hadoop jar /home/joe/wordcount.jar WordCount /user/joe/wordcount/input /user/joe/wordcount/output

If the response is helpful, vote/accept answer.