Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to start Hive on HDP sandbox

Expert Contributor

Hello Friends,

I am new to HDP and was trying to access the Hive on Beeswax. when I run a command "Show databases;" it's throwing following error,

Error: Error occurred executing hive query: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Hive Internal Error: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException(java.io.IOException: org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.client.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed, status: 503, message: Service Unavailable).

and

when I try to run the hive command on command prompt, it's giving some java exceptions.

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Satish.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looking at your attachments, it looks like you are trying to launch hive cli as root user. Make sure /user/root exists on HDFS and is owned by root user. If it's not so, login/sudo as hdfs user and run the following commands:

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/root
hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /user/root
hadoop fs -chown -R root:root /user/root

Launch the hive cli after that.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Expert Contributor

ok, thanks. I was looking into Cloudera sandbox and I don't see any root user under users folder on HDFS. Any idea why it's different. even it's using the YARN.

Explorer

@Deepesh how to run sudo on sandbox..I typed sudo -i then also it is giving root@sandbox.

If i type hadoop fs -mkdir /user/root it is giving error message

mkdir permission denied : user :root, access : WRITE, inode="user/root": hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

Try "su - hdfs" and then run the above hadoop commands.

Deepesh,

In HDFS environment is the hdfs user superuser. As in a typical UNIX env root is the superuser and without root user password we can't perform any of the stuff.

Yes, hdfs is typically the superuser on HDFS.