Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to start Hive on HDP sandbox

Expert Contributor

Hello Friends,

I am new to HDP and was trying to access the Hive on Beeswax. when I run a command "Show databases;" it's throwing following error,

Error: Error occurred executing hive query: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Hive Internal Error: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException(java.io.IOException: org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.client.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed, status: 503, message: Service Unavailable).

and

when I try to run the hive command on command prompt, it's giving some java exceptions.

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Satish.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looking at your attachments, it looks like you are trying to launch hive cli as root user. Make sure /user/root exists on HDFS and is owned by root user. If it's not so, login/sudo as hdfs user and run the following commands:

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/root
hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /user/root
hadoop fs -chown -R root:root /user/root

Launch the hive cli after that.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Master Mentor

@Satish S Can you share a screen shot?

Please provide the java exception messages. This looks like authenication issue.

Expert Contributor

Pls refer the screenshots in below comment. Thx.

Also, are you using HDP Sandbox? Which version of HDP are you on?

Have you made sure via Ambari that Hive is up and running?

Expert Contributor

It's 2.3.2

Also, moved the question to Data Processing category as "Community Help" is for help regarding navigation and other such aspects of this community forum. It is confusing and we are looking to change that title soon.

Expert Contributor

Here are the attachments.

sc1.pngsc2.png

Looking at your attachments, it looks like you are trying to launch hive cli as root user. Make sure /user/root exists on HDFS and is owned by root user. If it's not so, login/sudo as hdfs user and run the following commands:

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/root
hadoop fs -chmod -R 755 /user/root
hadoop fs -chown -R root:root /user/root

Launch the hive cli after that.

Expert Contributor

Thanks Deepesh. Its working fine now. Does this mean, we should have root user both on the local file system and hdfs? I didn't get why we need root user on HDFS. Please help me to understand this.

Any local user that wants to start YARN application also needs a home directory (/user/<user>) on the HDFS as well. I am guessing Tez is enabled in your environment and part of initializing hive cli is bringing up a YARN application which might be failing.