Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Older version | CDH Installation

Older version | CDH Installation

Explorer

Dear Experts,

How to install older version of CDH by automated way through cloudera manager.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Older version | CDH Installation

Rising Star

Howdy,

I'm glad you reached out on this. I recently helped someone out with a similar issue, however, we’ll need some more info if we want to reach the best conclusion.

-Do you currently have a cluster set up, or do you plan on starting one from scratch?

-If you do have a cluster set up, what is the current configuration like? The more detail, the better.

-Do you have a particular reason for needing an older version of CDH?

-What exactly do you mean by “automated”? Are we talking about automating cluster deployment? If that's the case, initial cluster deployment is generally done manually. 

Cheers

Explorer

Hi Martin,

My reply is in green colour.

-Do you currently have a cluster set up, or do you plan on starting one from scratch?

-Currenty having cloudera express 5.3 production cluster.

-If you do have a cluster set up, what is the current configuration like? The more detail, the better.

-Hbase nosql database production cluster set up.

-Do you have a particular reason for needing an older version of CDH?

-Planning for Namenode HA and the current version of cloudera 5.3 express edition

-What exactly do you mean by “automated”? Are we talking about automating cluster deployment? If that's the case, initial cluster deployment is generally done manually.

-Planning to install existing cloudera version via Internet on standy Namenode for HA. By default latest version will be installed if we go for Internet installation then the verson will mismatched and may be it will impact on production cluster.

Rising Star

Thank you for getting back to me on that. From my understanding, you wish to add an additional node to your cluster to act as a standby namenode for HDFS high availability. Is that correct? 

Explorer

Yes, I am planning for namenode ha and for the same installing standby namenode with existing cloudera version 5.3.

Rising Star

Okay, I've got some info that should help you out.

We have a thorough guide  that steps you through the process of setting up Namenode HA on your cluster. While you look through it, here are a few things to note, a lot of which can be seen in the yellow boxes labeled "!important"

- Enabling Namenode HA will cause a temporary service outage on your cluster, so make sure you don't have any jobs running.

- HA requires the Zookeeper service on at least 3 hosts, and the journalnode service on at least 3 hosts. 

- You don't neccesarily have to add an additional host to be the standby namenode. A common practice I've seen is for folks to simply repurpose their secondary namenode into the standby namenode. As a matter of fact, HA setup makes these selections by default. (This is all assuming your secondary namenode is on a separate host from your primary namenode)

- If you need to, you can add an additional node to be the standby namenode using the "add hosts" wizard in cloudera manager.

(hosts>all hosts>add new hosts to cluster)

It will automatically install the same CDH version on your new host. (5.3 in your case)

That should help you get started. Let me know if you have any questions as far as adding hosts and setting up HA goes.