Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

On which hosts do we have to place the ambari.repo and hdp.repo files?

Contributor

Hello, While setting up repositories, I know that an ambari.repo file needs to be placed on the node which will run ambari. So do we place hdp.repo on the nodes of the cluster? or do we place these files on every node including the ambari host?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

The minimal requirement is to place ambari.repo on the node where ambari-server will be installed. If you let ambari-server install Ambari agents (requires password-less ssh and ssh private key) that's all you need. If you want to install Ambari agents manually, then you need ambari.repo on all nodes in the cluster. [Usually, to be sure, I place ambari.repo before hand by myself on all nodes in the cluster.] Regarding HDP.repo, it's as @rguruvannagari said, you don't need to place it manually, it will be done by Ambari.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Super Collaborator

@Saifullah Sajjad If cluster is managed by Ambari HDP.repo file is created by ambari agent during the HDP installation. This HDP.repo file need not to be created manually, even if created manually, this will be overwritten by Ambari.

HDP.repo file is created as per your inputs provided during stack setup setup in Launch Install cluster wizard.

Contributor

Thank you for your answer 🙂

Contributor
log.txt

Hi, I am still facing this error log, need help to resolve

Master Guru

You have a 404, not found error by yum. Login to one node where ambari.repo is available and try "yum clean all", followed by "yum repolist" and "yum install ambari-agent". If either of these commands produce error, check and adjust if needed your base URL in ambari.repo, and also make sure that the node (and all other nodes) can access your web server running on lexbz1187.

Contributor
http://lexbz1187.cloud.dst.ibm.com/hdp/centos6/HDP-2.3.4.0/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://lexbz1187.cloud.dst.ibm.com/hdp/centos6/HDP-2.3.4.0/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, 'Operation too slow. Less than 1 bytes/sec transfered the last 30 seconds')
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: HDP-2.3.4.0. Please verify its path and try again

Cannot figure out this error, I have attached error logs in this thread above as well

Master Guru

The minimal requirement is to place ambari.repo on the node where ambari-server will be installed. If you let ambari-server install Ambari agents (requires password-less ssh and ssh private key) that's all you need. If you want to install Ambari agents manually, then you need ambari.repo on all nodes in the cluster. [Usually, to be sure, I place ambari.repo before hand by myself on all nodes in the cluster.] Regarding HDP.repo, it's as @rguruvannagari said, you don't need to place it manually, it will be done by Ambari.

Contributor

Thank you for the detailed answer, much appreciated 🙂

Contributor

hdp-repo.txt

ambari-log.txt

log.txt

yum-repolist-error.txt

I still am unable to add node to the cluster, help please.