Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

One JDBC connection to HiveServer2 shared with multiple threads cause Exceptions

Rising Star

I have a main thread that opens a JDBC connection to HiveServer2, this connection object is shared by multiple threads. The thread has a prepared statement and executes a select query(not CRUD) and does some processing with the resultset.

I am trying this with Hive as I have some legacy code from the product I work on which I dont want to change and I know that this works with Oracle.

Below is the stack trace of the exception.

org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:132)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:86)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.readLength(TSaslTransport.java:376)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.readFrame(TSaslTransport.java:453)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.read(TSaslTransport.java:435)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslClientTransport.read(TSaslClientTransport.java:37)
at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:86)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readAll(TBinaryProtocol.java:429)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readI32(TBinaryProtocol.java:318)
at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(TBinaryProtocol.java:219)
at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:69)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Client.recv_FetchResults(TCLIService.java:501)
at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Client.FetchResults(TCLIService.java:488)
at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveQueryResultSet.next(HiveQueryResultSet.java:360)
at hivetrial.RSIterator2.run(ConcurrentRSIteration2.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Trying to understand if this is a limitation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Using same connection over multiple concurrent SQL statements was broken. This issue recently got fixed, see HIVE-10835.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Using same connection over multiple concurrent SQL statements was broken. This issue recently got fixed, see HIVE-10835.