Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

OpenSource CDH -- where are the sources ?

New Contributor

As we all know there CDH Express is no more 🙂 At the same time Cloudera software is moving to OSS.

So where do I get the sources of the CDH 6.3.3 ?

There is no branch for CDH 6.3.3 for HUE for example, 6.2.2 is the highest branch. (https://github.com/cloudera/hue/tree/cdh6.3.2)

Where do I get the sources for Cloudera Manager now? I can not find any repo for it?

BTW. Did anyone actually build the binaries from the Cloudera sources?

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Dekano,

I would refer you to the Cloudera Enterprise 6.3.3 Released announcement (scroll down to the subheading Important Note About Installation).

If you have further questions after reading the announcement, you can use the contact us form page to contact sales if you're not in direct communication with your account representative.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Nope, that doesn't answer my question.

The link says:

All Cloudera Manager package, CDH parcel and CDH package repositories now require authentication with valid credentials to access any version labeled 6.3.3 or higher.

And I am asking for the source code, not binaries.

@Dekano,

You are correct that CDH 6.3.3 is not available at the repo location you mentioned previously. It's available from another repository, as alluded to in the announcement. You should get in touch with your account representative, who can get you the instructions on accessing the repository where the source can be found.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

Hi, Bill

There is no point going to my sales representative as I don't have one. I am here as a community member.

This post from mid-2019 states:

------------------------------------------

Over the course of the next 6 months, we plan to consolidate and transition the small number of projects currently licensed by Cloudera under closed source licenses to open source licenses. For example, components such as Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, and Cloudera Data Science Workbench will all eventually be available under an open source license.

Between September 2019 and January 2020, we’ll establish the new open source projects for formerly closed source components and begin licensing them under the AGPL.

------------------------------------------

I cannot treat this in any other way but a commitment to at least start releasing the sources of the previously closed source components by Feb 2020.

Right now it looks like the Cloudera forks of the Hadoop core components are actually closed for general public instead, which is quite contrary to what was written in the post.
That looks quite strange minding numerous phrases like "We are committed to 100% open source."

So my question is now changes. Is Cloudera really planning to release any sources to the world with no subscription?

New Contributor

I think you won't be able to download the sources.

Really Cloudera killed Hortonworks to become a Redhat like company, the source are available only to paying cusotmers.

I don't konw if this is against AGPL, but I think it is.

; ;