Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Oryx ALS: X and Y do not have sufficient rank

Explorer

A little info on the system this is running on:

I'm running CDH5 Beta1 on RHEL6U5, using the parcel installation method. I've set $JAVA_HOME to the cloudera installed 1.7_25 version.  Oryx was downloaded from github and built from source, using the hadoop22 profile.  The data source for the ALS job is on HDFS, not local.

I have a dataset containing 3,766,950 observations in User,Product,Strength format, which I am trying to use with the Oryx ALS collaborative filtering algorithm.   Roughly 67.37% of the observations have a weight of 1.  My problem is that when attempting to execute the ALS job, the results are that either X or Y does not have sufficient rank, and are thus deleted.

I've attempted running the Myrrix ParameterOptimizer using the following command (3 steps, 50% sample):

java -Xmx4g -cp myrrix-serving-1.0.1.jar net.myrrix.online.eval.ParameterOptimizer data 3 .5 model.features=10:150 model.als.lambda=0.0001:1

It recommended using {model.als.lambda=1, model.features=45}, which I then used in the configuration file.

The configuration file itself is very simple:

model=${als-model}
model.instance-dir=/Oryx/data
model.local-computation=false
model.local-data=false
model.features=45
model.lambda=1
serving-layer.api.port=8093
computation-layer.api.port=8094

And the computation command:

java -Dconfig.file=als.conf -jar computation/target/oryx-computation-0.4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

After 20m or so of processing, this is the final few lines of output:

Thu Feb 06 12:49:08 EST 2014 INFO Loading X and Y to test whether they have sufficient rank
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Matrix is not yet proved to be non-singular, continuing to load...
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 WARNING X or Y does not have sufficient rank; deleting this model and its results
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/X
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/Y
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Signaling completion of generation 0
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/tmp
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Dumping some stats on generation 0
Thu Feb 06 12:49:24 EST 2014 INFO Generation 0 complete

Any ideas on why this isn't working with using the recommended Features count and Lambda?  The ALS audioscrobbler example works fine, and the data format is similar (though the strengths are considerably smaller on my dataset).

Thanks in advance,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator
Oops, fixed. Yes I'm using CDH5b1 too, so that's not a difference. Can you compile from HEAD to make sure we're synced up there? you may already be, just checking. I can make a binary too. Any logs would be of interest for sure. I suppose I would suggest trying again with clearly small values for features (like 10) and clearly small values for lambda (like 0.0001) to see if that at least works. I would expect a lower number of features might be appropriate given there are a smallish number of items. You might try the optimizer again with lower ranges for both. More features encourages overfitting and more lambda encourages underfitting, so they kind of counter-act. It's possible you find a better value when both are low.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Master Collaborator

Hmm that does sound strange. lambda = 1 is on the high side, although it may have come out as the best value given the values tested in the optimizer and given the variation in random starting points, etc. There is some randomness on the other side too when it builds and tests the factorization.

My first guess is: decrease lambda. You might re-run the optimizer and restrict it to at most 0.1. This isn't a great answer but think it may be the fastest path to something working.

Longer-term, this is going to be rewritten to fully integrate parameter search into model building, so it won't be this separate and maybe disagreeing process.

Explorer

Hi Sean,

I should have mentioned that I've tried a few variations, each resulting in the same error each time.  I've tried the following combinations so far, each with the same result as when I followed the recommended Feature/Lambda settings:

Features : Lambda

20 : 0.065

100 : 0.065

45 : 1

45 : 0.1

50 : 0.1

All of those combinations end with the following error:

Thu Feb 06 14:20:37 EST 2014 INFO Loading X and Y to test whether they have sufficient rank
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Matrix is not yet proved to be non-singular, continuing to load...
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 WARNING X or Y does not have sufficient rank; deleting this model and its results
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/X
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/Y
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Signaling completion of generation 0
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Deleting recursively: hdfs://nameservice1/Oryx/data/00000/tmp
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Dumping some stats on generation 0
Thu Feb 06 14:20:50 EST 2014 INFO Generation 0 complete

Master Collaborator

Hmm. How much data are we talking about? you're building the model on the same data you optimized from?

How many unique users and items?

The general remedy is fewer features and lower lambda, but it can't be right that the optimizer is fine with this while the model build isn't fine with any of those values. Something is not right here...

Explorer

The model is indeed being built from the full dataset, while the optimization was performed against a 50% sample.  To get the sample, I downloaded the dataset from HDFS to the local filesystem, and performed a "head -n 1883475 data50percent.csv".  Then I ran the optimizer locally, not distributed.  Should I use the full dataset instead?

Dataset size is 125MB

Number of records 3,766,950

Unique users 608146

Unique items 1151

Master Collaborator

I would use 100% of the data, yes, but I don't think that should make a big difference

The number of items is low, but not that low. Is there any reason to think the items are very 'redundant'?

This is strange enough that I think there may be a bug somewhere. Is this data you can share, in anonymized form, offline?

I am wondering whether the singularity threshold needs to be configurable.

I would still try turning down lambda / features to get it going, although I still am not seeing a reason why it should be necessary.

Explorer

Some of the items are exceptionally popular, while a large number of the other items have very low values.  The weight is a simple count of the items per user within a timeframe.  So a userID/itemID combo should only be seen once, but some of those items are seen for a very large percentage of the userIDs.

I've tried setting Features to 5, and Lambda to .01, which also failed.  I'll try setting Features to 3 and Lambda to .0001 and see if that has any effect.

I'll verify with our Legal dept about sending the data over, but it shouldn't be an issue.  I know I have your card from when we met in London and NY Strata, but it's in my desk at work, and I'm working from home, so you might have to message me with your email address or data drop location.

Explorer

I'm cleared to send the dataset, just need to know where it's going!

James

Master Collaborator

Thanks James, I'm sowen at cloudera. It sounds like something I will have to debug as it's either quite subtle or a bug in the program. I'll solve it this weekend.

Master Collaborator

Thanks James, I got the data. 

FWIW, it built successfully locally, which is at least good. That is not a solution, but might get you moving.

I ran the data on Hadoop (CDH5) and uncovered a different problem, which I fixed: https://github.com/cloudera/oryx/commit/fee977f6a682ba6a2e8c2e48275cb4dc5718c8b2

It is basically an artifact of having virtually all even IDs. That shouldn't be a problem of course.

It ran successfully after that. Is the data you showed me the same as what you're running, or a sample (or redacted)? Just want to rationalize why you didn't see the error I did and then see if that has any clue to why it works for me.