Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

PIG script fails, no error message given

Highlighted

PIG script fails, no error message given

Rising Star

Trying to execute PIG script from PIG view in Ambari, according to the steps outlined in Hadoop Tutorial. The job executing this script fails without giving any error message. Both Results and Logs section are empty. I also was not able to find any PIG related logs within /var/log directory.

Where else I should look for more information?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: PIG script fails, no error message given

Mentor

Take a look at Ambari server logs and browser console. Hard reset the browser just in case with ctrl-shft-R.

Highlighted

Mentor

@Dmitry Otblesk looks like your application master is requesting more memory than allowed from YARN. You might want to review a tutorial on YARN Capacity Scheduler and tuning queues. A quick workaround for now would be to throttle the following property

yarn.scheduler.capacity.maximum-am-resource-percent=0.6

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_yarn_resource_mgt/content/setting_applic...

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/configuring-yarn-capacity-scheduler-ambari/

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.3/bk_performance_tuning/content/section_guidel...

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Artem Ervits

> yarn.scheduler.capacity.maximum-am-resource-percent=0.6

Tried this. Did not help ...

Highlighted

@dmitry is the Pig service check running fine? Also, check Ambari > YARN > Quick Links > ResourceManager UI, this will have the application id and name with something like "PigLatin:<scriptname>.sh", check the logs in it.

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Mugdha

Actually PIG service check fails. The error message I see is

org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.InvalidResourceRequestException: Invalid resource request, requested memory < 0, or requested memory > max configured, requestedMemory=1024, maxMemory=256

How can I stop Pig requesting such a big memory (as I do not have much available)?

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Mugdha

One more piece of information was found. One of the jobs was showing the following error message

Container [pid=11953,containerID=container_e23_1482543044221_0003_01_000002] is running beyond physical memory limits. Current usage: 263.3 MB of 256 MB physical memory used; 3.9 GB of 537.6 MB virtual memory used. Killing container

Apparently it had something to do with the lack of memory. So once again, how can I configure Pig to run on low memory and do not request it too much. I only need to process few records, this should not really require huge memory.

Highlighted

@Dmitry Otblesk Try setting below: From Ambari -> Yarn -> Configs ->

yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb = 1024
yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb = 1024

Restart required services and rerun the service check again. Once that goes through, pig script should execute fine.

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Mugdha

Tried this, did not help...

Highlighted

Could you paste the latest error?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here