Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Permission Denied when trying to SSH

Permission Denied when trying to SSH

Contributor

I've noticed that this version of HDP 2.5 Sandbox uses Docker container. When the VM launches I can login as root (pw: hadoop) on the default console. However, when I use ssh on other terminal, like Git Bash and Putty (which I am more comfortable using), I constantly get the message 'Permission Denied' even though I am keying-in same password.

ssh root@<my-ip> -p 2222

Another thing I noticed is the hadoop commands (hive, pig, oozie, etc.) are missing and the /usr/hdp path are also not in the Linux path. I really need to get into the terminal.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Permission Denied when trying to SSH

Super Collaborator

@J. D. Bacolod

You need to change the password for root(first login password: hadoop) from VM login and use new password to login from ssh. Once logged in from ssh you should be able to see the hive/pig commands in linux path variable.

Contributor

I already did this. Same thing happens.

Expert Contributor

The console login is not the system with the HDP sandbox. The installed VM is a Centos7 linux that runs docker. There is a container that runs Centos 6.8, which has HDP installed. As a result, you have to ssh to port 2222 in order to be root in the container where HDP is running. That password is initially hadoop, but it requires you to change the password the first time you connect. Did you change a password once? If so, try that one when you ssh to port 2222.

After installation of HDP 2.5 Sandbox,open http://<IP>:8888 URL.Click on QUICK LINKS -> their you will find SSH CLIENT and in that one URL will be available.Click on that URL,it will open new tab as Shell.Provide username and root and it will ask to change password.Change the password.Now connect through PUTTY using changed password and use port as 2222.If you have to connect through putty u should use Bridge Adapter network connection otherwise you can use NAT