Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Phoenix JDBC resultSet closes prematurely

New Contributor

I'm using Phoenix Queryserver Client 4.7.0.2.6.5.0-292 with HBase 2.1.4.

I'm running multiple select queries to get all data from a number of different tables, one after the other. The tables have ~4m rows in each. 

My problem is that, after 10 minutes, my resultSet closes with this exception:

AvaticaClientRuntimeException: Remote driver error: RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR 1101 (XCL01): ResultSet is closed. -> SQLException: ERROR 1101 (XCL01): ResultSet is closed.. Error -1 (00000) null

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR 1101 (XCL01): ResultSet is closed.
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.JdbcMeta.propagate(JdbcMeta.java:683)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.JdbcMeta.fetch(JdbcMeta.java:811)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.LocalService.apply(LocalService.java:253)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.Service$FetchRequest.accept(Service.java:1354)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.Service$FetchRequest.accept(Service.java:1321)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.AbstractHandler.apply(AbstractHandler.java:94)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.remote.ProtobufHandler.apply(ProtobufHandler.java:46)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.server.AvaticaProtobufHandler$2.call(AvaticaProtobufHandler.java:123)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.server.AvaticaProtobufHandler$2.call(AvaticaProtobufHandler.java:121)
      at org.apache.phoenix.queryserver.server.Main$PhoenixDoAsCallback$1.run(Main.java:373)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
      at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1869)
      at org.apache.phoenix.queryserver.server.Main$PhoenixDoAsCallback.doAsRemoteUser(Main.java:370)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.server.HttpServer$Builder$1.doAsRemoteUser(HttpServer.java:758)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.server.AvaticaProtobufHandler.handle(AvaticaProtobufHandler.java:120)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:542)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:52)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:311)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
      at org.apache.phoenix.shaded.org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR 1101 (XCL01): ResultSet is closed.
      at org.apache.phoenix.exception.SQLExceptionCode$Factory$1.newException(SQLExceptionCode.java:443)
      at org.apache.phoenix.exception.SQLExceptionInfo.buildException(SQLExceptionInfo.java:150)
      at org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixResultSet.checkOpen(PhoenixResultSet.java:215)
      at org.apache.phoenix.jdbc.PhoenixResultSet.next(PhoenixResultSet.java:772)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.StatementInfo._next(StatementInfo.java:85)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.StatementInfo.next(StatementInfo.java:81)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.JdbcResultSet.frame(JdbcResultSet.java:146)
      at org.apache.calcite.avatica.jdbc.JdbcMeta.fetch(JdbcMeta.java:807)
      ... 24 more

This happens regardless of how many rows have been read -- sometimes it's 80,000, other times it's 25,000, it's always after 10 minutes (or so). I've debugged my client code and I can see that resultSet.isClosed() is false, and that it always happens on the 99th row out of 100. I can see that there is data in the 100th row, but the client still throws that exception on the 99th. I've tried setting the fetch size and the query timeout on the resultSet and preparedStatement to no avail. 

I've gotten around this using keyset pagination and making another query every time the client experiences this error, but when I have to read from a number of tables with millions of rows and make a query every ~80,000 rows, the entire query is taking quite a lot of time. Is there any reason I should be experiencing a prematurely closed resultSet?

3 REPLIES 3

Explorer

It seems to be server side constraint. Our teams have similar issues and increase the timeout to 15mins. 

New Contributor

How u increased the timeout to 15 minutes ?

Super Collaborator

Hello @jmag2304 

Thanks for using Cloudera Community. Based on the Post, Your team is encountering "Resultset is Closed" after 10 minutes, while your Team is running multiple queries to fetch data from various Tables one after another, with each Table having ~4M Rows. 

• From [1] covering Phoenix Configuration, We observe there is 1 Parameter using 10 Minutes Default i.e. "phoenix.query.timeoutMs", however the same shouldn't impact a Session with multiple queries. Also, You have increased the same without any success. 
  • Wish to verify whether you observed any concerning message in the Phoenix Query Server Logs while the concerned Exception is encountered. 
  • Whether you have encountered such issues with Phoenix Thick Client (as compared to Phoenix Thin Client using Phoenix Query Server). 

Hi @Sunny93, Thanks for sharing your Team's experience concerning the issue. Kindly assist by confirming the Server Side Parameter being referred here. It would assist @jmag2304 & fellow Community Members for such issues. 

- Smarak

[1] https://phoenix.apache.org/tuning.html