Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Problem with hive metatsore service

Explorer

When I logon to my cluster and start the hive command it fails with the following error and the metaservice does not come up even though I start the same from Ambari

% hive --service metastore Starting Hive Metastore Server WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications. SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings. SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class] SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hadoop/phoenix-4.4.0.2.4.2.0-258-client.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class] SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation. SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory] java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol$Factory.<init>(ZZJJ)V at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.startMetaStore(HiveMetaStore.java:6016) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:5945) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136) Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol$Factory.<init>(ZZJJ)V at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.startMetaStore(HiveMetaStore.java:6016) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:5945) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221) at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136)

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Problem with hive metatsore service

Explorer

Could you attach your hivemetastore.log after started hive service from ambari?

Explorer

Hi Peter

Enclosed the log file as desired. Thanks in advance

hivemetastoretxt.zip

Explorer

Did you install hive service with metastore clearly? Could you let me show the Hive Summary Menu in ambari.

Explorer

i have installed using ambari and hence it is guided installation .

16755-services.png

Explorer

I think, the hivemetastore is not loaded hadoop&hive env properly.

Check this conf file and hive library from installed server with hive packages.

1. /etc/hive/conf/hive-env.sh

# Set HADOOP_HOME to point to a specific hadoop install directory

HADOOP_HOME=${HADOOP_HOME:-/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-client}

export HIVE_HOME=${HIVE_HOME:-/usr/hdp/current/hive-client}

# Hive Configuration Directory can be controlled by:

export HIVE_CONF_DIR=${HIVE_CONF_DIR:-/usr/hdp/current/hive-client/conf}

2. /usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hive-metastore/lib & /usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hive/lib

Check library files.

/usr/hdp/2.4.2.0-258/hive-metastore/lib

hive-jdbc-1.2.1000.2.5.3.0-37-standalone.jar

hive-jdbc-1.2.1000.2.5.3.0-37.jar

hive-jdbc.jar -> hive-jdbc-1.2.1000.2.5.3.0-37-standalone.jar