Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Problems loggin in as admin on port 4200

New Contributor

Hello,

I am taking a big data class and am new to this whole field, so I apologize for any incorrect use of terminology.

I am trying to use sandbox. I was able to create a virtual machine, login to port 4200 with the username "root" and change the admin password using "ambari-admin-password-reset". The password works when I log into port 8080. But when I try to go back to port 4200 and login as "admin", instead of "root", the password doesn't work. Is there a different password? What am I missing?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Hello @Rbcc,

Normally the Ambari user accounts are stored in the Ambari DB, whereas the user accounts which you use to login via port 4200 are the local unix accounts on the host.

By doing "ambari-admin-password-reset", you have reset the password for the Ambari admin user account. You can utilize this admin username/password only while logging in to the Ambari Web UI via port 8080.

Whereas if you wanted to login to the Web based SSH client in port 4200 as the "admin" user, first could you login as the "root" user and check if the user account is present using below command?
$ id admin

If the above returns "no such user", then please create the "admin" user account, set a password for it and after that you should be able to login successfully as the "admin" user in the Web based SSH client.

Thanks,
Prashanth Vishnu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rising Star

Hello @Rbcc,

Normally the Ambari user accounts are stored in the Ambari DB, whereas the user accounts which you use to login via port 4200 are the local unix accounts on the host.

By doing "ambari-admin-password-reset", you have reset the password for the Ambari admin user account. You can utilize this admin username/password only while logging in to the Ambari Web UI via port 8080.

Whereas if you wanted to login to the Web based SSH client in port 4200 as the "admin" user, first could you login as the "root" user and check if the user account is present using below command?
$ id admin

If the above returns "no such user", then please create the "admin" user account, set a password for it and after that you should be able to login successfully as the "admin" user in the Web based SSH client.

Thanks,
Prashanth Vishnu

New Contributor

Thank you for your response! I was able to create an admin user account and log in with that.