Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

New Contributor

First of all thank you very much for proving the quickstart vm. It allowed me to have a nice first insight into the technologies i am planning to use.
There are some issues that don't let me progress further in the turorials:

http://quickstart.cloudera/#/go_grid is completely empty. No information given.

The example  also contains a wrong command since the home folder as root is not cloudera:
[root@quickstart.cloudera ~] hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ~/*.avsc /user/examples/

this should actually be
​[cloudera@quickstart ~]$ hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ~/*.avsc /user/examples/

I cannot execute any queries in Impala, the queries time out. The same queries work fine in Hive. I already tried changing the timeout in beeswax as suggested after googling.

[beeswax]
server_conn_timeout=120

The only thing that did was to display the timeout a bit later. I checked the steps multiple times, can't spot any issue with the tutorial.

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

Master Collaborator

Thanks for reporting your issues, Thorsten.

>> http://quickstart.cloudera/#/go_grid is completely empty. No information given.

Where are you seeing this URL? It's used in a similar tutorial when you spin up a Cloudera cluster on GoGrid, but it should not show up in the tutorial when you view it on Cloudera Live, and I can't find it in my copy of the VM. In any case, you do not need any information from that page if you're using the VM - it just walks you through finding your SSH credentials / root password on GoGrid. In the VM, you can SSH if you want (root password is cloudera), but you can also just open a terminal directly.

>> The example  also contains a wrong command since the home folder as root is not cloudera:

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll get it fixed for the next VM. That's actually the hostname of the machine and it's not meant to have the domain included - not the home directory.

>> I cannot execute any queries in Impala, the queries time out.

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Could you verify that the Impala services are running correctly? e.g.

service impala-server status

service impala-state-store status

service impala-catalog status

If all services are running, I'd suggest you check the logs in /var/log/impala or /var/log/hue and see if you can find any helpful error messages about exactly what's timing out or failing.

Re: Problems with Quickstart VM 5.3.x

New Contributor

Hell and thank you for the answers.

The link can be found on http://quickstart.cloudera/#/tutorial/ingest_structured_data under "Your Cloudera Cluster"

I restarted all the services and the query seems to be running getting another error on the Results tab:

Fetching results ran into the following error(s):

Error reading from HDFS file: hdfs://quickstart.cloudera:8020/user/hive/warehouse/tokenized_access_logs/000000_0 Error(255): Unknown error 255

Checking the configuration gives me this:

Potential misconfiguration detected. Fix and restart Hue.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here