Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

PuTTY Configuration for Azure sandbox

Highlighted

PuTTY Configuration for Azure sandbox

New Contributor

This is regarding connecting to Azure Sandbox using Putty. Do I have to keep doing the following creation of tunnels(8080->127.0.0.1:8080 8888->127.0.0.1: etc ) and session steps everytime the sandbox is closed. I did it and opened the unix box using user ID and password and was able to access Hadoop console. However the next time I am not able to access Hadoop console.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: PuTTY Configuration for Azure sandbox

Super Mentor

@Vaidyanathan Janardhanam

Tunnel creation is needed.

Please refer to the following doc for more details to now how to add it properly.

https://hortonworks.com/tutorial/sandbox-deployment-and-install-guide/section/4/#configure-ssh-tunne...

New Contributor

Hi Jay,

I installed Putty on my laptop, after creating Azure account and keeping the IP static as mentioned in the link, I followed the steps for Tunnel Creation using Putty. For the first time it worked and I was able to logon to Ambari. Next time onwards its not working. Even my tunneling also vanished and I had to do it everytime, still I cannot access the Hadoop Console.

Can you please guide me on the same.

@Vaidyanathan Janardhanam

Has your issue been resolved.

Super Collaborator

Did you store the setting made in Putty? Once you made all config settings, go back to Sessions provide a name for the session (in the field 'saved sessions') and click on 'save'. Next time you start Putty click on that asved session and then on 'open'.

New Contributor

Hi @Harald Berghoff. Thanks for the reply.

I was saving the connection created. My query was more about saving the SSH tunneling.

Should the tunneling configuration be done on my laptop to connect from my laptop to the sandbox?

OR

Should it be done on sandbox by logging it through Putty?

I have managed to add inbound port on sandbox for 8080 and 8888 and now can I can access ambari regularly.

However I am not able to ping sandbox IP address from my windows command prompt. The request is getting timed out.

Can you please guide me on that.

Thanks,

Hrushikesh.

Super Collaborator

To be able to ping the sandbox, you will have to provide it with a static IP and then you should be able to ping it via IP address. If you want to ping it by name, you will have to configure it using the etc/hosts file. (On Windows the file is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts). ping is not based on TCP or UDP and will therefore not use any port forwarding. You should still be able to ping the IP you are using for the SSH connection (except a firewall blocks the ping request).

Otherwise the server side port forwards should be completely preconfigured in the sandbox. What you need to configure is the local forwarding.