Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Quickstart VM/Cloudera Live - Tutorial Exercise 1 - Communications link failure/Hive MetaStore excep

Quickstart VM/Cloudera Live - Tutorial Exercise 1 - Communications link failure/Hive MetaStore excep

Explorer

Re-posting this as my earlier post from approximately hour ago (before this post) does not show up under My Posts.. apologies in advance for any confusion.

Using the Quickstart VM on Cloudera Live.. following the instructions for Tutorial Exercise1

Quickstart_VM_Tutorial_1_sqoop_command.jpg

Executed the following statement from a terminal command line

[cloudera@quickstart ~]$ sqoop import-all-tables -m 1 --connect jdbc:mysql://quickstart:3306/retail_db --username=retail_dba --password=cloudera --compression-codec=snappy --as-parquetfile --warehouse-dir=/user/hive/warehouse --hive-import

Resulting error -->

16/09/07 04:10:35 ERROR manager.CatalogQueryManager: Failed to list tables
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

Quickstart_VM_Tutorial_1_Communications_Link_Failure.jpg

If I change the ConnectString to use 'localhost' instead of 'quickstart', it proceeds with generating the code..builds the SELECT on the first table it identifies in the mySQL retail_db database..connects to the metastore..but then throws a Hive MetaStore exception error..

ERROR sqoop.Sqoop: Got exception running Sqoop: org.kitesdk.data.DatasetOperationException: Hive MetaStore exception
org.kitesdk.data.DatasetOperationException: Hive MetaStore exception

Caused by: MetaException(message:Got exception: java.net.NoRouteToHostException No Route to Host from quickstart.cloudera/192.168.2.128 to quickstart.cloudera:8020 failed on socket timeout exception: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host; For more details see: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/NoRouteToHost)

Please see snapshots of output below 

ConnectString_localhost_output_lines_1_36.jpgConnectString_localhost_output_lines_37_74.jpgConnectString_localhost_output_lines_74_91.png

Please advise.