Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Quickstart VM Fails to boot

Highlighted

Quickstart VM Fails to boot

New Contributor

Greetings everyone, this is my first time trying to install Quckstart VM, and Virtualbox gives me the following error

This kernel requires an x86-64, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU. I'm on a MacBook Air, so how can I fix this?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Quickstart VM Fails to boot

Master Collaborator

The VM requires a 64-bit OS. Are you sure your MacBook Air is booting in 64-bit mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770

New Contributor

Hi I'm trying to install Cloudera VM for the first time and tried starting using the Virtual box after enabling the virtualization option in BIOS (Windows 10) and also enabling the VM settings PAE/NX in processor tab of system section...but it keeps giving me the same error. When i tried with Ubuntu the services was started, i'm just getting in, not sure if i've stated anything incorrectly or did anything wrong, Pls help. I'm writing after spending almost 3 hrs on that...trying my luck...

Master Collaborator
What is the error it's giving you?

New Contributor

This kernel requires an x86-64, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU. 

I have 64 bit Windows 10 machine. Please advise how can i fix it ?

New Contributor

I'm having exactly the same issue with exactly the same environment.  Looks like maybe it's not compatible with windows 10.

Community Manager

Welcome to the community @Jimbo, Perhaps this article will be of use in your situation: How to setup Cloudera Quickstart Virtual Machine. The article contains a few common issues that may apply to your situation. Good luck.

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum

New Contributor

anybody solved to this kernel problem? Thanks

New Contributor

Im using oracle VM I experienced this too and made it work by changing the OS version to ubuntu64

Setting>General>Version

os version.PNG