Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

REST Webservice with HBase, KNOX and NiFi

Highlighted

REST Webservice with HBase, KNOX and NiFi

New Contributor

Hey,

I want to set up a REST webservice using Hortonworks. The data is stored in HBase and I want to secure it with KNOX and Ranger. I'm not sure if it is possible to configure this with NiFi, so I can call the REST API and get data from the HBase (with Hive). It is important, that the connection is secured with KNOX and I can also use Ranger for the data security.

1.Can I use NiFi for it? 2.What is the best solution/architecture to fit the use case? It would be also great, if you can also add some related advanced

Should I use NiFi only for data ingest? How should I setup the webservice? Directly with HBase Rest, or Hive on HBase with WebHCat and secure this with Knox and Ranger?

Information, so I can go deeper into this subject.

thank you in advanced and best regards

Eva

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: REST Webservice with HBase, KNOX and NiFi

@Eva Goodwing

I think NiFi has different purpose than Knox and Ranger.

Yes - Know and Ranger are used as authorization for securing access to data using rest and at HDFS level.

Nifi uer can be integrated with Kerberos - https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/34147/nifi-security-user-authentication-with-kerberos.htm...

Highlighted

New Contributor

@Sagar Shimpi Thank!

But is it possible to combine NiFi, Kerberos, Knox and Ranger? I'm using NiFi and Kerberos for data ingestion and NiFi allows me, to set up a rest webservice and I want to use it. But I don't know, if it is possible to secure this NiFi webservice with Knox and Range

Should I use NiFi only for data ingest? How should I setup the webservice? Directly with HBase Rest, or Hive on HBase with WebHCat and secure this with Knox and Ranger?

Highlighted

Super Collaborator
Don't have an account?