Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Please see the Cloudera blog for information on the Cloudera Response to CVE-2021-4428

Ranger admin log file catalina.out shows GC limit exceed errors

Rising Star

Hi,

I have upgraded HDP-2.3 to HDP-2.4

After teh upgrade, I am seeing the below error messages in catalina.out file

Jun 15, 2016 4:14:50 PM com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse mapMappableContainerException SEVERE: The exception contained within MappableContainerException could not be mapped to a response, re-throwing to the HTTP container java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded Jun 15, 2016 4:14:50 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [REST Service] in context with path [/] threw exception [java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded] with root cause java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded Jun 15, 2016 5:20:48 PM com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse mapMappableContainerException SEVERE: The exception contained within MappableContainerException could not be mapped to a response, re-throwing to the HTTP container java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space Jun 15, 2016 5:20:48 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [REST Service] in context with path [/] threw exception [java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space] with root cause java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

The rannger-admin process is running, audit is taking place, everything is fine but I would like to solve the heap space problem as it might create problems later.

I could not find where I can change heap configuration.

Can someone please help me on this

Thanks,

Venkat

4 REPLIES 4

Rising Star

Hi,

I found that the heap size and permgen sizes are specified in /usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/ranger-admin/ews/ranger-admin-services.sh file as below

JAVA_OPTS=" ${JAVA_OPTS} -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m "

But, the file is readonly. I think, if I increase the above values the the above mentioned heap space problem may disappear.

Please shed some more light on this.

Thanks,

Venkat

@venkata , Check below thread which has ways to tune heap for Ranger.

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/641/how-to-increas-ranger-admin-heap-size.htm

Cheers.

Rising Star

Hey Sharma,

Thanks for your repsonse. I could not open the link. I see below error when I try to open the link

Page Not Found

The page you were trying to reach was not found on this TeamHub server. If you feel you're seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrators.

Rising Star

Any help on this would be much appreciated