Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Please see the Cloudera blog for information on the Cloudera Response to CVE-2021-4428

Ranger-hive-plugin-enabled is not seen in Ambari after HDP upgrade to 2.3

Rising Star

Hi,

I have upgraded Ambari-2.1 to 2.2 and HDP-2.2.4.2 to HDP-2.3 on single machine using express upgrade feature of Ambari-2.2

Upgrade is successfuly done but I dont see the Ranger-Hive-Plugin-Enabled Icon under Hive but I can see it for HDFS and HBase.

When I searched Hiveserver2 logs, I found the below log

2016-02-10 09:15:28,469 ERROR [Thread-8]: util.PolicyRefresher (PolicyRefresher.java:loadPolicyfromPolicyAdmin(228)) - PolicyRefresher(serviceName=mdcthdp01_hive): failed to refresh policies. Will continue to use last known version of policies (-1) com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

I am able to access Hive shell via beeline but could not see any info when I invoked show databases or show tables commands but it works perfectly fine when I ran them from Hive CLI.

Summarizing above I see below 2 problems

1. I dont see the Ranger-Hive-Plugin-Enabled Icon under Hive in Ambari UI

2. Able to connec to Hiveserver2 from beeline but it does not show any information about databases/tables

Please help

Thanks,

Venkat

13 REPLIES 13

Under Hive config, if you set authorization to Ranger, that would be enough. There is no separate Hive plugin enabled checkbox if that's what you mean. If you are using Ambari 2.2, this can be directly done from Ranger Config -> Ranger plugins tab. Please share any errors you see and hive's DB config.

Rising Star

Hi,

I did try to disable and enable Ranger-Hive plugin but I still see the same errors in hiveserver2.log file.

2016-06-29 16:07:19,197 ERROR [Thread-9]: util.PolicyRefresher (PolicyRefresher.java:loadPolicyfromPolicyAdmin(228)) - PolicyRefresher(serviceName=mdcthdp01_hive): failed to refresh policies. Will continue to use last known version of policies (-1) com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe at com.sun.jersey.client.urlconnection.URLConnectionClientHandler.handle(URLConnectionClientHandler.java:149) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.handle(Client.java:648) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.handle(WebResource.java:670) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.access$200(WebResource.java:74) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource$Builder.get(WebResource.java:503) at org.apache.ranger.admin.client.RangerAdminRESTClient.getServicePoliciesIfUpdated(RangerAdminRESTClient.java:73) at org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.PolicyRefresher.loadPolicyfromPolicyAdmin(PolicyRefresher.java:205) at org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.PolicyRefresher.loadPolicy(PolicyRefresher.java:175) at org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.PolicyRefresher.run(PolicyRefresher.java:154) Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Due to this, I could not see any databases in Hive when I connect via beeline

Please help me on this

Rising Star

I see that /usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/ranger-hive-plugin/install.properties is not populated with config values like POLICY_MGR_URL and DB properties.

Rising Star

Hi,

Any help on this problem. Please advise