Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger installation on the HDF and HDP clusters

Expert Contributor

Hi,

We are working on the POC implementation with the following nodes :

I am wondering if you recommend to install Ranger on both HDF and HDP or can i install it on just Ambari server (HDP2.6) for both?

Thanks,

SJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Sanaz Janbakhsh

HDF and HDP stacks may each use different version of Ranger. NiFi would not have been tested against a newer version of Ranger then what is included in HDF stack.

That being said, there is no reason a single Ranger install could not be used to manage multiple services. The Ranger that is included with HDP will not include the service definition for NiFi, so it would need to be installed manually.

The following link discusses how to set this up:

http://bryanbende.com/development/2016/04/25/building-a-plugin-for-apache-ranger

I do not know what impact manually adding service definitions HDP will have on HDP upgrades. Will those added service definitions be lost following upgrade? I would hope not, but personally have no knowledge in that area.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Mentor

@Sanaz Janbakhsh

HDF and HDP stacks may each use different version of Ranger. NiFi would not have been tested against a newer version of Ranger then what is included in HDF stack.

That being said, there is no reason a single Ranger install could not be used to manage multiple services. The Ranger that is included with HDP will not include the service definition for NiFi, so it would need to be installed manually.

The following link discusses how to set this up:

http://bryanbende.com/development/2016/04/25/building-a-plugin-for-apache-ranger

I do not know what impact manually adding service definitions HDP will have on HDP upgrades. Will those added service definitions be lost following upgrade? I would hope not, but personally have no knowledge in that area.

Thanks,

Matt

New Contributor

Thanks for benefit link matt!