Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ranger log4j audit logs locations

Master Guru

where do the audit log files get posted when I enable audit to log4j on ranger using xasecure.audit.log4j.is.enabled=true? I know there is a property

xasecure.audit.hdfs.config.destination.directroy

however that is when i have logging to hdfs enabled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Hi @Sunille Manjee, if you enable audit to log4j then you decide by yourself where to send audits by configuring log4appender properties.However, I'm not sure how exactly to do that: This document talks abut "Logging using Log4j" by configuring log4j.logger.xaaudit property. And there is also an example of Ranger-4 log4j audit to Kafka here, which uses slightly different property. No mention of this in docs for latest versions of Ranger, but I guess it can be done somehow.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru

Hi @Sunille Manjee, if you enable audit to log4j then you decide by yourself where to send audits by configuring log4appender properties.However, I'm not sure how exactly to do that: This document talks abut "Logging using Log4j" by configuring log4j.logger.xaaudit property. And there is also an example of Ranger-4 log4j audit to Kafka here, which uses slightly different property. No mention of this in docs for latest versions of Ranger, but I guess it can be done somehow.

Master Guru

@Predrag Minovic I have seen that link and it is helpful. I found more info here as well on log4j appender ranger hive.