Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Recommended Experience Before Taking Developer Exam?

Recommended Experience Before Taking Developer Exam?

New Contributor

Is the Hadoop Developer exam designed for engineers who already have professional experience using Hadoop? Most of the IT certifications I've taken or reviewed recommend you have 1-2 years experience before attempting their exams. I was wondering if the Hadoop exams are the same, or if someone with 3-4 months of regular study can expect to pass the test without any prior experience.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Recommended Experience Before Taking Developer Exam?

Super Collaborator

yes, experience required. How much depends on your aptitude and previous experience. We try and stay away from broad generalizations but we do say that if you take our training and have six months experience, have a good grasp of Java, and have used the practice test, you do well. If you don't follow that path, it depends how much prior knowledge you bring. 

We do sell self-assessments (practice tests) to let you decide that for yourself. If you take the practice test, first time out, in a single sitting, and treat it like a real test, the score correlates pretty well (statistically) with the high stakes exam. 

Highlighted

Re: Recommended Experience Before Taking Developer Exam?

New Contributor

Hi, Brad - 

I read your post with some measure of disappointment.  I completed the Cloudera Developer Training for Apache Hadoop course in late August and have been studying ever since, using The Definitive Guide as my sole source of study material.  This was the guidance I got from the course instructor but based on your post, it seems that my efforts, sans real-world experience, will not get me the certification I desire.  I'm skilled in Java but have not done any Hadoop work outside of what was provided in the course.

Advice?  Short of getting free-lance work before I take the exam?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Kevin