Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Rolling restart with upgrades or configuration changes

Highlighted

Rolling restart with upgrades or configuration changes

Champion Alumni

Hi All,

1. Is a rolling upgrade possible   if I  use rpms  as my local repository or is it mandatory that  parcels are required for this?.
  2. Similary if I  make a configuartion change and need a rolling start I  think  the only thing I would need is HDFS high availability to restart the  full cluster.(I dont think  it has anything to do with parcels/rpms).

Could some one please confirm.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Rolling restart with upgrades or configuration changes

Expert Contributor

Hi Nishan,

1a. Yes! See the documentation for performing a Rolling Upgrade

1b. Rolling Restarts are a function made possible by using parcels, not rpm/deb packages. Cloudera Manager does not present Rolling options for clusters that do not use parcels. 

2. Good question. There is a concept of a Service-Level Rolling Restart, and a Cluster-Level Rolling Restart. The documentation link above elaborates:

"If you have HDFS High Availability enabled, you can also perform a cluster-level rolling restart. At the cluster level, the rolling restart of slave nodes is performed on a host-by-host basis, rather than per service, to avoid all roles for a service potentially being down at the same time. You cannot perform a cluster-level rolling restart unless you have High Availability enabled. However, you can perform a rolling restart on individual services, including HDFS.
Note that JobTracker High Availability is not required for a cluster-level rolling restart.

If you have HDFS High Availability, then in order to avoid having your NameNode (and thus the cluster) go down during the restart, Cloudera Manager will force a failover to the Standby NameNode while the critical roles are being restarted. If you have JobTracker High Availability enabled, Cloudera Manager will force a failover to the Standby JobTracker while the critical roles are being restarted."

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here