Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

SAP HANA Impala OBDC Connector Unable to Connect

Highlighted

SAP HANA Impala OBDC Connector Unable to Connect

Explorer

Hello,

I have installed the Impala ODBC Driver on my SAP Hana cloud machine in AWS following these instructions

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2016/05/how-to-configure-sap-hana-with-apache-impala-incubating/

But when I test the connection with isql -v CLIMPALA I get the following error. Its not clear to me what host address and port is missing because I have configured the Impala server host name here in the .odbc.ini file. What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

[08001][unixODBC][Cloudera][ODBC] (10380) Unable to establish a connection with data source. Missing settings: {[Host] [Port]}
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: SAP HANA Impala OBDC Connector Unable to Connect

New Contributor

Cerno,

I realize this is an old post, but in case you had not found a workaround, or if anyone else out there is looking for the same answer, I'd like to suggest a solution that worked for me.

If you are running the isql -v CLIMPALA command from the user that runs the HANA DB, try this as that user:

odbcinst -j

This should reveal something like:
unixODBC 2.3.4
DRIVERS............: /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
FILE DATA SOURCES..: /usr/local/etc/ODBCDataSources
USER DATA SOURCES..: /home/youruser/.odbc.ini
SQLULEN Size.......: 8
SQLLEN Size........: 8
SQLSETPOSIROW Size.: 8

Is the USER DATA SOURCES .odbc.ini the same one you created following the Cloudera documentation? If so - check the permissions on the file and see if it's owned by someone other than the user - potentially root. Change the ownership to match everything else in the directory, and the error should then be resolved.

Hope that helps!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here